Your favourite 'non-translatable' words and phrases?

Watch
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've seen these series of illustrations floating around before. Sometimes other languages have amazing words for things which English doesn't - the German word schadenfreude is one of my favourite examples.

Another one is the Japanese word chotto* - it is a beautiful, amazing, face saving get out of jail free card. Feel awkward about doing someone a favour? Need to turn a date down? Got an unfavourable opinion but don't want to share it? Just chotto your way out of there and run for the hills.

What are your favourite 'untranslatable words' from other languages?

:cookie:

*Lit. 'a little' but it has many other uses.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
I've seen these series of illustrations floating around before. Sometimes other languages have amazing words for things which English doesn't - the German word schadenfreude is one of my favourite examples.

Another one is the Japanese word chotto* - it is a beautiful, amazing, face saving get out of jail free card. Feel awkward about doing someone a favour? Need to turn a date down? Got an unfavourable opinion but don't want to share it? Just chotto your way out of there and run for the hills.

I am always fascinated by the way these untranslatable expressions often give an insight into a culture - your two examples are certainly a case in point.

The French have le savoir-vivre which covers a whole attitude to people, including good manners, consideration and respect for others, politeness etc. I suppose the closest to this would be the made-up word "gentlemanliness".

In Spanish, I like la sobremesa - the time spent at table chatting after a meal.

My favourite one, however, has to be the Dutch gezellig. Any place, event or person that makes you feel relaxed, at home, warm, protected as well as having fun - is gezellig. Sitting in front of a fire, lying in bed with a hot chocolate when it's snowing outside, a shopping trip, your best friend, your local pub - all these can be gezellig.

I also like the way that, in Europe at least, there is no other term for fair play.

Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Spanish noun "friolero/a" meaning someone who is inherently sensitive to feeling cold all the time.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hentai.

It means....hentai.
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
I am always fascinated by the way these untranslatable expressions often give an insight into a culture - your two examples are certainly a case in point.

The French have le savoir-vivre which covers a whole attitude to people, including good manners, consideration and respect for others, politeness etc. I suppose the closest to this would be the made-up word "gentlemanliness".

In Spanish, I like la sobremesa - the time spent at table chatting after a meal.

My favourite one, however, has to be the Dutch gezellig. Any place, event or person that makes you feel relaxed, at home, warm, protected as well as having fun - is gezellig. Sitting in front of a fire, lying in bed with a hot chocolate when it's snowing outside, a shopping trip, your best friend, your local pub - all these can be gezellig.

I also like the way that, in Europe at least, there is no other term for fair play.

Ah these are lovely.

I like also the French savoir/connaître. I really wish we had in English, as it's an important distinction to make.
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arkasia)
Hentai.

It means....hentai.
Nyaaah you can translate that. It means 'pervy'.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nyaaah you can translate that. It means 'pervy'.
A more accurate translation is 'Japan vs Octopuses', but yeah 'pervy' is close enough.
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
The Spanish noun "friolero/a" meaning someone who is inherently sensitive to feeling cold all the time.
This is me

Spoiler:
Show
beyknowles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah these are lovely.

I like also the French savoir/connaître. I really wish we had in English, as it's an important distinction to make.
Yes !!
But still, I'd like there to be two verbs stemming from connaitre. To know someone as in to see them regularly and to speak to them, and to know of someone.

..Though I suppose saying 'I know OF him' and emphasising the 'of' suffices

would you class -ci and -là as 'untranslatable'? I know they are the equivalent of 'here' and 'there' but I suppose there is an equivalent for all words :unsure:
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After my old housemate came back from Colombia he had a sash type thing with the words: 'Vaya la bonita'. Which doesn't really translate. A rough translation he said was 'Go beautifully'.
chloevictoria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Verschlimmbessern' (German) which means trying to make something better but actually making it worse.
Squaresquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Ahh another Chotto fan!!! I love that word haha XD
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Gezellig! :woo:
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatitootoo)
Gezellig! :woo:
What does this mean?
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What does this mean?
Miss Anna Schoon explained it best in post #2!
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatitootoo)
Miss Anna Schoon explained it best in post #2!
Oh goodness, sorry! First thing on a Friday, and I'm not the sharpest at the best of times....
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chloevictoria)
'Verschlimmbessern' (German) which means trying to make something better but actually making it worse.
I'm going to use this in my German xDDDDDD
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is a Welsh word I know of but I'm indifferent to - "Hiraeth"

Hiraeth, pronounced [hɨraɪ̯θ], is a Welsh word that has no direct English translation. The University of Wales, Lampeter attempts to define it as homesickness tinged with grief or sadness over the lost or departed. It is a mix of longing, yearning, nostalgia, wistfulness, or an earnest desire[1] for the Wales of the past.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiraeth

Quite a mouthful :P
Anna Schoon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XcitingStuart)
This is a Welsh word I know of but I'm indifferent to - "Hiraeth"

Hiraeth, pronounced [hɨraɪ̯θ], is a Welsh word that has no direct English translation. The University of Wales, Lampeter attempts to define it as homesickness tinged with grief or sadness over the lost or departed. It is a mix of longing, yearning, nostalgia, wistfulness, or an earnest desire[1] for the Wales of the past.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiraeth

Quite a mouthful :P
A bit like the Portuguese ​saudade?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads