Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a place at Oxford, and I'm applying for scholarships, and I was wondering if anyone already at Oxford has one, and if they might be up for giving some advice to an applicant? I've never applied for a scholarship before. Any help much appreciated!

I know the Oxford Bursary and Moritz-Heyman applications are automatic, I'm looking more for advice on how to get the other scholarships or other outside funding.

(I've looked online at the fees and funding page, and called a whole bunch of admissions and accounts people at Oxford already).

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on your situation - which country you're from, family background etc.

If you've done the search on here - http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...d-scholarships

Then maybe once you know which scholarships you are eligible for, come back and ask?

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks,

Yes, I've looked at the website and I'm only eligible for the automatic funding (the Oxford bursary or Moritz Heyman) i.e. the ones I can't apply for directly.

Basically, I'm not eligible for anything specific in terms of ethnicity or nationality or subject etc. But I am eligible for low income funding. My college doesn't have anything available for low income students specifically. So I'm looking at external funding bodies (basically grant-giving organisations).

Specifically I'm looking for advice on what to put in an application letter; how I can convince them I'm worth giving money to! And any other tips in terms of what to ask my references to focus on, or whether to go for academic references or character etc.

This might be more a question for PhD students? Or internationals? I know most UK undergrads can just get student finance, but I'm not eligible which is why I'm looking for external funding.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer?

ReputationRep:
    I might just be misunderstanding things - but surely if you're not eligible for UK student finance you're not eligible for the Moritz-Heyman or Oxford bursary scheme?

Do you have an offer for undergrad or a PhD? Because Graduate scholarships work completely differently as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I should have said, I'm not eligible for full student finance, I may be eligible for some - I'm waiting to hear back from them, and then I'll know more. It's basically because I started studying (at a different university) then stopped, so I'm going through the whole process of finding out what they can give me, but in the meantime I'm looking for external funding just in case.

It's an undergraduate degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.