Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my first year of Uni. I'm keen on doing a year long internship at the end of my second year. I'm studying an Economics degree at a Russell Group uni, however, I didn't do Maths at A Level and hence I'm doing a BA. Having not come from a Maths background does this rule me out of an investement banking or corporate finance internship/future job?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mallinder)
    I am currently in my first year of Uni. I'm keen on doing a year long internship at the end of my second year. I'm studying an Economics degree at a Russell Group uni, however, I didn't do Maths at A Level and hence I'm doing a BA. Having not come from a Maths background does this rule me out of an investement banking or corporate finance internship/future job?

short answer No.

you got as much chance as anyone. what area of investment banking are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in venture capital or mergers and acquisitions sort of things? I would have thought a career in finance would of meant that maths at a high standard was pretty essential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mallinder)
    I'm interested in venture capital or mergers and acquisitions sort of things? I would have thought a career in finance would of meant that maths at a high standard was pretty essential?
    Not really, its mostly low-level accountants that actually do the number crunching. The main requirement of an investment banker is that you are smart and able to spot trends instantly - math of course greatly helps with this. However, if you can do this, you don't actually have to know things like trigonometry or differentiation. However, if you want to go into something like a hedge-fund (formula based) then you need math. But to work in a bank, and be a director, you only need management skills and brains. However, you will find that the majority of people in finance come from math.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.