The Student Room Group

Al Murray to stand against Farage.

The pub landlord is to stand against Farage in the general election.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-30819779

So I suppose the real question is: who holds a pint better? Farage or Murray?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
one trick pony he is
Original post by sdotd
one trick pony he is

But what do you think of Murray?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I for one welcome our pub landlord overlord.

Still if he goes through with it this could be amusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
"Comedian Al Murray will stand in his guise as The Pub Landlord against UKIP leader Nigel Farage at the general election."

He won't, because the law does not permit that. He can only stand as Alastair James Hay Murray, although he can call his 'party' most anything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
At this point its worth pointing out that the last Ashcroft poll there had the Tories ahead.
Original post by Simes
"Comedian Al Murray will stand in his guise as The Pub Landlord against UKIP leader Nigel Farage at the general election."

He won't, because the law does not permit that. He can only stand as Alastair James Hay Murray, although he can call his 'party' most anything.

Actually, he can stand as Al Murray, but not as The Pub Landlord.

"If you commonly use a different name from your actual name you can ask for your commonly used name(s) to be used instead of your actual name."

Electoral Commission, Guidance for candidates and agents, Part 2b, Para 1.85
This story made my night :biggrin:

Plus, 1p Beer? Who'd say no to that?
If he splits the Tory vote there though... :angry:
Reply 9
Original post by Simes

Those geezers at the Monster Raving Loony Party seem to get away with using funny monikers in place of their birth names.
This is bad news for Farage. If you are going to protest by voting for a clown you might as well vote for the more entertaining and amusing one. Take away the protest vote from the core UKIP vote in the constituency and Farage has no chance of winning.
Reply 11
Original post by Simes

Unless he changes his name...
Original post by O133

More likely he'll take the protest vote, a la the MRLP, and you'd imagine most of the protest vote would be going to UKIP.

Bookies offering shorter odds on Murray than the lib dems though :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by O133

Since when did joke parties split the votes? They take a few hundred votes, if that, and they'll probably all be people who voted purely for that reason
Has anyone seen/heard that Al Murray, as his character The Pub Landlord, is standing against Nigel Farage in the General Election, generally to highlight what Farage stands for and discourage voters from voting for him.

Your thoughts?

Im on my mobile so I'll put up a link when im on the laptop.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Since when did joke parties split the votes? They take a few hundred votes, if that, and they'll probably all be people who voted purely for that reason

1% of the british population is down on the census as a follower of the jedi religion. I think these joke parties might garner more votes than you think.
Original post by perfectsymbology
1% of the british population is down on the census as a follower of the jedi religion. I think these joke parties might garner more votes than you think.

Whydon't you go look how many votes the likes of the 'Loonies get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Whydon't you go look how many votes the likes of the 'Loonies get

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but nobody actually knows or gives a **** about who the candidate representing the Monster Raving Loony Party is. Al Murray is a television icon, in the same way that Boris Johnson has a cult following, which helped him to the position of Mayor of London thanks to his frequent appearances on 'Have I Got News For You?'.
Reply 18
Appreciate somewhat different scenario given actions of the parties withdrawing their candidates, but Martin Bell did not do that badly. Unknowns tend not to get that many votes, those in the public eye who will receive a bit of news coverage tend to do a little better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending