Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide between Manchester and Bristol (I have the same offer from both). What is the quality of teaching like for modern languages at Manchester? I'm studying German and Russian
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by ebrown6)
    I'm trying to decide between Manchester and Bristol (I have the same offer from both). What is the quality of teaching like for modern languages at Manchester? I'm studying German and Russian
    Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university!

Have you tried making a thread in the languages uni courses forum too? It might help. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year German student at Manchester now and the teaching is great, all of the lecturers I have for actual language modules are native speakers. One class that every german student takes is entirely in German while the more difficult classes like grammar are partially in English. Overall I find that the teaching is very good and the lecturers are very helpful both in class and via email if you have queries

ReputationRep:
    The Russian teachers are great. They really know their stuff and are very approachable if you need extra help (don't be scared of Liza, she's lovely really!). Some good modules as well to choose from - I'd particularly recommend the 'Banned Books' one as being really interesting, especially if you've got a thing for Russian literature. There's some good practical stuff on learning the language, and you do a lot of translating into and from Russian, which I found really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebrown6)
    Hi there! I'm going to read German and ab initio Russian too and I'm stuck in the same doubt... Can you tell me what you have decided? Bristol is probably more prestigious for a "humanistic" degree and the city seems nicer, but Manchester is more known from an international point of view and I have the feeling I'd have much fun there!
    I just want someone who could tell me which one is the best academically

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Can't say for German and Russian but based on my personal experience (French& Spanish), I’d avoid Bristol as teaching is poor: lazy and incompetent lecturers (some can hardly speak the language), poor organisation, students who can’t be bothered, incomprehensible marking and feedback for boring coursework. It has really gone downhill. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? I read wonderful things about Bristol! I'm a European student and my own teacher suggested me Bristol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabelle12)
    Hi,
    Can't say for German and Russian but based on my personal experience (French& Spanish), I’d avoid Bristol as teaching is poor: lazy and incompetent lecturers (some can hardly speak the language), poor organisation, students who can’t be bothered, incomprehensible marking and feedback for boring coursework. It has really gone downhill. Avoid, avoid, avoid!
    Don't you know anyone who studies German or Russian there? I was told Bristol is in the top 10 for both in research...
    what would you suggest between Birmingham and Manchester then? Which one is supposed to be better for Modern Languages?
    anyway, thanks for your warning I hope things will get better for you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.