The Student Room Group

How to cope with giving up my Uni Dreams and Career

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iAmanze
A huge amount of millionaires/ billionaires did not go to school/ failed school and got to where they wanted to go. There are lots of options but require a whole lot more of dedication due to not having a degree.

Surest way is to get a generic job and save up enough to enter real estate and do that. (Real estate done correctly requires almost no cash and minimal credit). Search it up.

Share more info pls :smile:

I thought it required a lot of cash and a lot of credit.

Oh and when you say real estate do you mean buy to let or just fixing houses and selling them

Xx
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
np,:redface: i did my alevels back in 2005, got good grades, then went on a foundation year, got seriously depressed and had other things to deal with, couldn't attend and failed the whole thing yay. No support from my uni/college. since they have more HND type courses about now, i am doing one of thos. Its not that great, but i know i probably won't cope at uni, or if i would get in. If anything i m studying to boost my confidence, which is something i really need in a job :s-smilie:

Have you been on medication ?

2005-2015 is 10 years what have you done to help your depression.
You can apply to UCAS after January 15th and many unis will consider you.

The other route to teaching music is through a music qualification beyond grade 8, a diploma. Some peripatetics don't have music degrees.

Please don't give up - you are worth more than your college!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

It is with sad regret that i will be missing the ucas deadline :cry2:. Because i suffer from Depression and that everyone in my college sees me as a weirdo, the tutor made a good point not to write my references earlier because i failed my accounting exam, being behind coursework and having the poorest attendance in college.

It is an access course, i dont blame them, i agreed with her and she then indirectly try to indicate that my behaviour is Bipolar/Personality Disorder (she didnt say it direct obviously but the way she described me) hence making my reference hard to write, she says she will write tonight but i know that is a lie. Whilst i have finished my personal statement and my careers advisor giving me the best help i have ever had with the personal statement, i also realise that my tutor is ****ing useless but thats just my own thinking

Anyway, now that there's a 100% chance that i won't go uni as i predict i will get out of college anyway, i need to cope on not being jealous of others who are going uni or already in uni. This was my third attempt at college and i have ruined yet again :frown:. This September i'm likely to do a btec with 16 year old kids or to do a dead end apprenticeship. How can i now adjust to this sad life and ending my potential career.

What about open uni, no entry requirements? :smile:
Original post by YGD
You could try taking responsibility and not looking for online sympathy. Complaining won't change anything, you've got to work harder.

I applied to ucas today so i'm now waiting for offers
Original post by Muttley79
You can apply to UCAS after January 15th and many unis will consider you.

The other route to teaching music is through a music qualification beyond grade 8, a diploma. Some peripatetics don't have music degrees.

Please don't give up - you are worth more than your college!

I applied to ucas today after sorting out a feud with my tutor. I'm now just waiting on offers
That's great news - well done :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
That's great news - well done :smile:

I'm so ****ing shocked.. I was confident they were going to kick me out of the college but they apparently like me. Hence the reason i made this thread... now i'm excited :biggrin:
Let us know when you get some offers ...
I applied to ucas today so i'm now waiting for offers

what do you want to study?
Hey good for you! Its never too late. This is my second time applying and it is not going well for me at all. I just feel like you too. Good luck I wish you all the best and I'm sure life will get better! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apprenticeships aren't dead end they are better for some people then degrees are .
It may have been mentioned already but it's worth looking into Open Uni as you're in control of your work environment and learning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sach-okay
It may have been mentioned already but it's worth looking into Open Uni as you're in control of your work environment and learning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Open university is online learning. I want to move out so uni was the only option for this
Original post by ssupernova
Apprenticeships aren't dead end they are better for some people then degrees are .

What happens when your apprenticeship finish and your employer tells you to **** off? Degrees are certificate for life and open so many doors. I heard recently graduate schemes are getting easier to get into.. you can't get an apprenticeship through a graduate scheme.

And yes they are dead end because they are really minimum wage careers.
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
what do you want to study?

Business Management or a joint degree in Business and Popular Music (i applied two of these in 5 different uni's)
What happens when your apprenticeship finish and your employer tells you to **** off? Degrees are certificate for life and open so many doors. I heard recently graduate schemes are getting easier to get into.. you can't get an apprenticeship through a graduate scheme.

And yes they are dead end because they are really minimum wage careers.

You can learn a very useful trade . Skilled workers will always be in demand , my car breaks down and I have to wait two hours because everyone decided to study media studies instead ... I jest , of course , but electricians, plummers will always be needed , stable jobs with not necessarily minimum wage .
I also don't knew where you heard that graduate schemes are easier to get onto, the competition is still extremly fierce with more and more graduates every year there is just more and more people to beat to the same amount of jobs . Both have their pros and cons
Reply 57
Your comment has only just made me want to tell my tutor tomorrow of 'calling it a day'. You don't understand that depression is demonic spirit which only strong obessive prayers (yes and psychological help) can solve the problem. Look i won't be a f***** in this. If current economic environment don't take weak people, thats fine with me, i can retire right now at 19 and live alone for live. I tried saying this to my parents of running away but they told me to **** off if i was planning this.

Look, uni is like a bigger college. If you couldn't pull your weight at college how you will manage to survive at uni? You get depressed again and again! You theory of uni is 'grass is always greener at other side'. The people you will go to uni are the people from colleges too, if your behaviour labels you as a weired, you don't get along with teachers and blames things, then uni is not for you. Uni is not heaven and no students there are not angels. Your problems will not be solved automatically if you go to uni.

I wouldn't write reference to person who were absent from classes, who is failing exams. The thing is if you see you depressed, and you have 'uni dreams' you go get help on time and do well. Simple?

Original post by bunnybubbles
I'm really not here to start an argument or anything so please don't take this wrong! Feel free to ignore. I think its very unfair you have just passed judgement on this person in this way with a clear little understanding in depression and mental illness. I really feel you should think about what made you feel the need to tell someone their 'depression' is an excuse, and what sort of person that makes you. Would you say that to someone with a physical illness that you couldn't see?

Speaking from someone who works in a very very stressful childrens mental health hospital.

I know I was rude, and I totally understand you. My point is, from OPs writing I can see that it's more of blaming depression using it as an excuse for everything rather than doing something about it. I don't even know if OP had self diagnosed depression or had proper medical examination.

No I wouldn't judge anyone with mental disabilities.

But when OP claimed her dreams destroyed because teacher is not giving reference as she were absent and failed exams... I'm not gonna say "such an evil teacher destroyed poor students dreams, she shouldve know she has depression"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending