Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently saw an MA module I was interested in.

Im working full time and it was just an area of interest, I wanted to attend the lectures for the module but not claim the credits or take any exams or anything. just literally sit at the back of class with a pen. at a bottom tier uni

but I had to complete a 9 page application form, pay £500, provide a detailed written reference, and photocopies of all my qualification certificates AND show my passport

WHY is it so thorough, just to sit in on a class????

ReputationRep:
    Omg it would have been half the price at UCL whichis actually a good uni!!!

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/selcs/prospecti...egree-students

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course, but my Masters units rarely consisted of sitting in a lecture. Most of my teaching was interactive, with seminars and discussion groups based on preparatory reading.

If all you want to do is be a passive observer, it's possible that the uni is trying to discourage you. A group dynamic builds up over a term of teaching, and having someone lurking around and not contributing would have been very off-putting during my Masters.

Have you tried looking at MOOC sites like Coursera? The courses there are generally free and at run at uni level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Depends on the course, but my Masters units rarely consisted of sitting in a lecture. Most of my teaching was interactive, with seminars and discussion groups based on preparatory reading.

If all you want to do is be a passive observer, it's possible that the uni is trying to discourage you. A group dynamic builds up over a term of teaching, and having someone lurking around and not contributing would have been very off-putting during my Masters.

Have you tried looking at MOOC sites like Coursera? The courses there are generally free and at run at uni level.
    Oh I see!!

I am very academically familiar with the content of the course because I have read a lot about it outside of work, and I wanted something MORE academic in content than just general public lectures I also want to be able to write about it for publication. But I am unsure about doing a MA or LLM while working 60-80 hours a week in my job, or having MA credits without any knowledge of ifI would cash them in.

ReputationRep:
    ok i just wanna say to anyone thinking of doing this.....postgraduate lectures are more like undergrad tutorials. you need to do the reading. you cannot just sit in the back. also class size is smaller.we only had 8 and most of them were audit only students. no one did any reading, no one was motivated, some fell asleep. the lecturers picked up on the fact that most were only auditing so the lectures deteriorated into a chit chat about personal feelings and irrelavent ideas. all i could think was omg i;ve paid a ton of money to sit here and listen to carp about how the person sitting next to me has 5 kids and they love playing in the garden....

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.