Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

my dad is tired a lot and today he's come home with a headache, collapsed and snoring Watch

ReputationRep:
    He's 50 this March, is this normal or is his health failing him at a younger age than he ought to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    He's 50 this March, is this normal or is his health failing him at a younger age than he ought to be?
    Snoring is normal, but maybe you might want to get him checked up if his health has fallen recently. Usually old age decreases a person's immunity and makes them more tired and since everyone is different you can't put an age on when it happens exactly. Hope he gets better soon.

ReputationRep:
    excessive tiredness is also a sign of other more serious illness such as diabetes, thyroid. Headaches are quite normal but if they are frequent then get it checked out. .Don't worrry about the snoring that is absolutely normal.

ReputationRep:
    Has he had his thyroid checked? It's more common in males and that age range, too.

Tell him to get a blood test.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it sounds like a perfectly normal reaction to a long day at work, no matter what age you are.

You will always have people of differing fitness levels - I have an uncle who's 72 and is very unfit and generally unwell in himself, and my grandad is 90 and can walk for miles and rarely sleeps during the day. However I would suggest that 50 is a little young to be struggling - but what you're describing doesn't actually sound like a "struggle", just normal tiredness .

He could improve his health by eating well, getting enough sleep, and drinking plenty of water. At his age, unless there is actually something specific physically wrong, simply taking care of himself should help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Hes probably just plain knackered. He may also be depressed. Be nice to him..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonthegreat)
    excessive tiredness is also a sign of other more serious illness such as diabetes, thyroid. Headaches are quite normal but if they are frequent then get it checked out. .Don't worrry about the snoring that is absolutely normal.

(Original post by Captivated)
    Has he had his thyroid checked? It's more common in males and that age range, too.

Tell him to get a blood test.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    thyroid? Diabetes? Um he had a test 3 months ago and came back all clear-high cholesterol

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    To be honest, it sounds like a perfectly normal reaction to a long day at work, no matter what age you are.

You will always have people of differing fitness levels - I have an uncle who's 72 and is very unfit and generally unwell in himself, and my grandad is 90 and can walk for miles and rarely sleeps during the day. However I would suggest that 50 is a little young to be struggling - but what you're describing doesn't actually sound like a "struggle", just normal tiredness .

He could improve his health by eating well, getting enough sleep, and drinking plenty of water. At his age, unless there is actually something specific physically wrong, simply taking care of himself should help a lot.
    he is not religiously into diet or fitness the way I am but he managed to do a 10 mile bike ride the other day

(Original post by Limpopo)
    Hes probably just plain knackered. He may also be depressed. Be nice to him..
    he seems far from depressed, quite happy but very stressed by work, he does 60 hours and there isn't much money coming in atm. Also he is living with sick me hahaha

(Original post by H.Ibrahim)
    Snoring is normal, but maybe you might want to get him checked up if his health has fallen recently. Usually old age decreases a person's immunity and makes them more tired and since everyone is different you can't put an age on when it happens exactly. Hope he gets better soon.

ReputationRep:
    thyroid? Diabetes? Um he had a test 3 months ago and came back all clear-high cholesterol

he is not religiously into diet or fitness the way I am but he managed to do a 10 mile bike ride the other day

he seems far from depressed, quite happy but very stressed by work, he does 60 hours and there isn't much money coming in atm. Also he is living with sick me hahaha
    then dont worry about him, stop criticising him so much and get on with your life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.