Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Summer 2015 - what to do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, amidst exam time I am currently thinking about what to do during summer.
    I am studying Mechanical Engineering, first year and I'll only be available in august&september, june and july I've reserved for family time.
    My colleagues pointed out that employers hardly ever take first years since we are less experienced (for internships).
    Any suggestions on what I could do?
    I was thinking about doing one of those 8-day-volunteering-somewhere-in-asia things, but is it really worth it?
    I would also have an opportunity to work at my dads civil engineering office - but wouldn't employers just think that I got this position not due to my skills but due to family?
    Or should I just look into short-term part-time jobs?

Any advice/ideas on what I could do?
    I would love to do something concerning mechanical engineering, but would that be even possible with only 8 weeks availability?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MEng_Student)
    Hey, amidst exam time I am currently thinking about what to do during summer.
    I am studying Mechanical Engineering, first year and I'll only be available in august&september, june and july I've reserved for family time.
    My colleagues pointed out that employers hardly ever take first years since we are less experienced (for internships).
    Any suggestions on what I could do?
    I was thinking about doing one of those 8-day-volunteering-somewhere-in-asia things, but is it really worth it?
    I would also have an opportunity to work at my dads civil engineering office - but wouldn't employers just think that I got this position not due to my skills but due to family?
    Or should I just look into short-term part-time jobs?

Any advice/ideas on what I could do?
    I would love to do something concerning mechanical engineering, but would that be even possible with only 8 weeks availability?

Thank you in advance!
    I would suggest either working for your dad's company or asking him if he knows any of his contacts that you might try. As for who you worked for ...the question might never crop up and if it does explain you got no favours and more than normal was expected of you.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.