Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am really considering nursing. I am a qualified English as a Foreign Language teacher and have graduated with a degree in BA Hons English Language and Linguistics. My A levels were pretty crappy, with a B in English Language, C in Media Studies and a D in Art and Design. After A levels I did a Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media because I wanted to go into Fine Art; reality hit and I realised that I wouldn't be able to get a job if I did Fine Art.

I love teaching but in England it just isn't very good (job prospects are low) and I cannot leave the country for a while (personal reasons which are too long to explain). I teach English privately in my own time (which I enjoy doing just as much as working for a school) and work full time as a Health Care Assistant in a nursing home. I have not been working here long but I absolutely love the job, however, I just want more from it.

TLTR: Is it possible to access straight onto a BSc Nursing course as a graduate in another field or do I have to do some kind of access course?

Thank you for any help and useful contributions.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You can either do the pre-registration, but post-grad diploma in adult nursing, which is still offered at places like City University London - and I have looked and your academic profile would be suitable for this particular university. There are Access to Nursing Diplomas available but this tends to be for those who haven't already done a degree and are returning to education after some time out.

You could alternatively do the undergrad pre-registration 3 year BSc (Hons) (That's what I do)... In my personal opinion, as fantastic as the Diploma trained nurses are, many are being asked to do units with extra credits to 'top up' to a full degree. And all of the undergraduate courses are now degree level and have been for a while, so this is very much the direction the profession is moving in, and that's what I personally would recommend you do - even though it is another year.

Keep on with your HCA work in the nursing home. Although you may be new at the moment, by the time you come to apply, you should have enough experience to support your application adequately.

I hope that helps you!

Feel free to ask any further questions
    Joel (3rd year child branch student nurse)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, Joel. You're really helpful and I will look into the courses and Uni you have mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaarrgghh)
    Thank you very much, Joel. You're really helpful and I will look into the courses and Uni you have mentioned.
    A pleasure to help. Wishing you all the best with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaarrgghh)
    Thank you for any help and useful contributions.

Hi.
    I was in a similar situation. I have completed one degree then got into care and found my passion in life !
    Many people do this and you should look at what universities you would want to attend and contact them.
    You will be able to apply but they will tell you more. I applied for the undergrad instead of postgraduate even though I have plenty of experience within care as over 3 years instead of 2 gives me chance to grasp it all and really get used for being back at uni after a 5 year gap!

So it's up to you, your grades and what the universities entry requirements are. But you can get a bursary and depending where you are based you may be entitled to a student loan as well.
    Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is a really interesting thread for me. I've already completed a (non-related) degree before applying to nursing course and I was told that having a degree would be all that was required to get me onto the course - from an academic background.

However, I was told by one university that I wouldn't be eligible to apply to the two year courses because NMC regulations stated you had to have a degree in a science or health related subject. Has anyone had similar experiences? Everyone I've spoken to since thought this was quite surprising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The nmc states you have to have that science based knowledge. Some universities may accept if you have science a levels but most will say do the 3 year course.
    The 3 year course is intense as it is and is a lot to take in. The 2 yer course is full on and if you haven't done a health or science degree then it's better to do 3 years.
    I'd say 3 years as you gain the knowledge and experience as a nurse in training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thereason that many of the HEIs who offer the 2 year post grad pre-reg want a life science or certain social sciences first degree is to allow APL of that content against the theoretical outcomes and content in the pre-reg programme -as the 2 year degree is packing the same knowledge into 2/3rds of the time ...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.