TheAthena
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi!
I've been reading about coastal erosion and 'groynes' came up. As far as I can understand, the advantage to having groynes is that material is not moved down the beach in LSD. My teacher then mentioned 'terminal groyne syndrome' as a disadvantage to groynes, and I don't understand what it is or why it is a disadvantage. Could someone please explain what TGS is? (And why it's bad)...
:confused:
Ferret1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Terminal groyne syndorme occurs after the 'terminal groyne' (the last one). It leads to extra erosion on the beach further down shore because the sand is prevented from reaching it, hence why it's a bad thing.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheAthena)
Hi!
I've been reading about coastal erosion and 'groynes' came up. As far as I can understand, the advantage to having groynes is that material is not moved down the beach in LSD. My teacher then mentioned 'terminal groyne syndrome' as a disadvantage to groynes, and I don't understand what it is or why it is a disadvantage. Could someone please explain what TGS is? (And why it's bad)...
:confused:
Coastal erosion happens normally in nature. Beaches undergo destructive processes, i.e. material being broken off and carried away, and constructive processes, i.e. sediment being deposited. As you know, Groynes are one strategy used to prevent material from carried away from a beach you want to "protect". However, material being transported away from one beach is probably the source of material for another beach. If you interrupt this natural process, you're starving later beaches of material. The rate of deposition in those beaches will therefore decrease so the net rate of erosion will increase, resulting in greater erosion. So on their own, Groynes are basically a method of protecting parts of the coast at the expense of others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise