Turn on thread page Beta

A-Levels that can be mastered by rote learning watch

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, what A-Level subjects (serious ones, so excluding the likes of Media Studies) can someone get a top grade in through mere memorisation?

ReputationRep:
    All of them?

ReputationRep:
    Biology

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vimto39)
    All of them?
    How can you memorise maths and physics ? :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry.
    Except physical chemistry but that's just about 20% of the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarpeDiem.)
    Chemistry.
    Except physical chemistry but that's just about 20% of the syllabus.
    Physicsl chemistry involves calculations. How can you memorise calculations ? Haaaaaa this is making me angry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin-9970)
    Biology
    This does not work for A2 Bio.

It is mostly application questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsandaLFC)
    Physicsl chemistry involves calculations. How can you memorise calculations ? Haaaaaa this is making me angry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uh, yeah? That's why i said EXCEPT physical chemistry.:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I would say Maths, unlike the poster above who disagrees. Maths is basically lots of calculations and once you learn them (though takes practise) it's pretty simple.

Biology, Physics, ] A lot to memorise though Geography, Economics and Business Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickstahhh)

I am an AS student, & if u memorise and understand application is fine right?

ReputationRep:
    How can you memorise maths and physics ? :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my opinion, there's more rote learning in the sciences than essay subjects such as History and English, which require somewhat an element of talent to structure an eloquent essay.

The current A-Level syllabus for Sciences doesn't require complex problem solving. Physics has a large knowledge element, which obviously lends its hand to rote learning. The calculations aspect of the course can be learned without actually understanding the equations, and so if you see a question using the word potential energy, you can have a punt on E=mgh and plug the variables in - hardly having an understanding and is common in the sciences.

With respect to maths, so many A-Level mathematicians don't understand what they're doing - they have simply learned, for example, standard formula for differentiation, and can apply this formula to the function provided in a question that starts with 'differentiate'.

I'm not saying the subjects you mention should lend their hand to students being successful through rote learning, but simply that the structure of the A-Level course makes this so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickstahhh)

I'd say it pretty much does work providing you've understood on at least the most superficial level the things you've rote leant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    I would say Maths, unlike the poster above who disagrees. Maths is basically lots of calculations and once you learn them (though takes practise) it's pretty simple.
    You know whats "pretty simple" ? Drawing your profile pic. Even if you practise them. They come out of the exam as some different ****. Has happen before :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walt_14)
    In your opinion, what A-Level subjects (serious ones, so excluding the likes of Media Studies) can someone get a top grade in through mere memorisation?
    Geography 100% as well as psychology sociology history are all definite ones for rote learning.
    biology can be but not to the same extent same with chemistry and physics. Maths i would say is hardest to rote learn but it tend to have a lot less to learn and once you understand what you're doing you're on it.
    Obviously all languages are the ultimate subjects for rote learning as that is essentially what they're testing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin-9970)
    I am an AS student, & if u memorise and understand application is fine right?
    Memorising will get you nowhere in application questions.
    You have to understand the content fully, and be able to link several topics together.

But for AS there is not that much application. So rote learning should suffice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, there's more rote learning in the sciences than essay subjects such as History and English, which require somewhat an element of talent to structure an eloquent essay.

The current A-Level syllabus for Sciences doesn't require complex problem solving. Physics has a large knowledge element, which obviously lends its hand to rote learning. The calculations aspect of the course can be learned without actually understanding the equations, and so if you see a question using the word potential energy, you can have a punt on E=mgh and plug the variables in - hardly having an understanding and is common in the sciences.

With respect to maths, so many A-Level mathematicians don't understand what they're doing - they have simply learned, for example, standard formula for differentiation, and can apply this formula to the function provided in a question that starts with 'differentiate'.

I'm not saying the subjects you mention should lend their hand to students being successful through rote learning, but simply that the structure of the A-Level course makes this so.

You know whats "pretty simple" ? Drawing your profile pic. Even if you practise them. They come out of the exam as some different ****. Has happen before :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The person quoted above is spot on.
    I don't know why you are becoming so defensive? I take Economics and mentioned that too. In all honesty, te Science subjects at A level basically require you to just learn the theory and calculations and once you can do that, you are at a B grade at least.

I can't talk from experience since I don't take them, but most of my friends taking the Sciences & essay subjects have said pretty much the same thing. The essay subjects require you to learn exam technique and you really do need to have a natural talent for writing.

There isn't anything bad about it though so I don't know why you are becoming worked up. The STEM subjects are regarded very highly and I respect people taking them definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Probably considered 'soft' but Business Studies (at least to AS) is really easy to 'rote' learn.
    As some people have said Maths, you learn the calculations you will get an A. The A* probably not.

ReputationRep:

This is annoying. This is super annoying. you cant get an A for physics with rote learning. Im sure u never gotten a B. In my school no one has ever gotten an A in physics for the past 3yrs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is annoying. This is super annoying. you cant get an A for physics with rote learning. Im sure u never gotten a B. In my school no one has ever gotten an A in physics for the past 3yrs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can definitely get an A with rote learning, but I got an A* by having some degree of intelligence.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.