The Student Room Group

Panic attacks

I often have panic attacks and my doctor has put it down to stress.
I know one person who also had panic attacks however hers are very different to mine.
I tend to hyperventilate to the point my muscles spasm, my lips tingle and I feel like I could pass out.
I find it very hard to calm myself down while having a panic attack, especially if i'm on my own.
Is there anyone else that has panic attacks and how do you handle them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been having them a lot too and they sound similar to yours. When I feel the first sign that it's happening (for me it's either palpitations or breathlessness), I try and go somewhere with not many people, sit down/lie down depending how lightheaded I feel and focus on slowing my breathing right down. I do this by slowly tracing the outline of a square on my leg, I inhale as I draw the first side, hold my breath as I draw the second side, exhale as I draw the third side and hold again as I draw the fourth side.

It doesn't always stop them but it's generally how I calm myself back down after the attack has peaked and seems to be faster than just waiting it out.

When someone is with me, I try and talk to them for distraction. I quite like physical contact, whether it's a friend's hug, or a hand on my shoulder. But I know some people who get more agitated with the physical contact, so it might not help you.

It sounds a bit counter productive but I also think about how many attacks I've had and it sort of reassures me in a sense that I know it's happened before and I'm always ok afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hey, I get panic attacks quite often and everyone is different so it's about finding what works best for you! When I get panic attacks, my chest tightens, my heart starts beating fast, I'll start crying, can't speak and I feel like I can't breathe.

What I've been told is use your hands to help get your breathing back, if you focus on your hands then it distracts your mind from what else is going on in your body. For me, I hold my hand out and with my finger on my other hand, just trace the outline of my hand. So when I go up one finger, breathe in through the nose and then when I go down, breathe out through the mouth. Or things like stress balls, squeeze when you breathe in and release when you breathe out. Or a slinky, pull it out when you take a breath in and push together when you breathe out again :smile:

It will take some time, for me, mine last for about 20 minutes but they shouldn't last much longer than that. You just have to remember that you will get back normal and that they won't last forever!!

Make sure that after you get everything back under control, to relax. Even if you're at work or school, like I've been when I've had an attack, you need to take time and just keep breathing.

If you need anymore help or advice or just wanna talk about what's going on, feel free to send me a message!!! Hope you're ok :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Kittykcmt
Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've been having them a lot recently too. I become short of breath very tense in my body and have this feeling of intense fear generally and that I'm dying. My heart beats so fast as well. At the time I feel so lonely as well like I desperately need people with me. A cuddle always helps a little even if I'm still freaking out.

Having a warm drink or a little snack helps distract me as well. My mum sometimes rubs my back which helps me relax a bit too.

Do you have an idea what's causing yours? Have you been under a lot of stress? I know for some people they just have them even if they're not overly stressed panic attacks can just happen spontaneously.
Reply 5
Original post by Ebony19
Yeah I've been having them a lot recently too. I become short of breath very tense in my body and have this feeling of intense fear generally and that I'm dying. My heart beats so fast as well. At the time I feel so lonely as well like I desperately need people with me. A cuddle always helps a little even if I'm still freaking out.

Having a warm drink or a little snack helps distract me as well. My mum sometimes rubs my back which helps me relax a bit too.

Do you have an idea what's causing yours? Have you been under a lot of stress? I know for some people they just have them even if they're not overly stressed panic attacks can just happen spontaneously.

Yeah, finding a cause for the panic attacks can be really useful because although it shouldn't stop you going into that situation, you be a bit more prepared for them to happen :smile:

Also, remember that with panic attacks, you might have this little period of getting them and then never ever have one again!! I go through periods of having them and that's mainly when I'm stressed out and not resting enough. But other times I can go months without having them, so it's all personal to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by EmMcd13
Yeah, finding a cause for the panic attacks can be really useful because although it shouldn't stop you going into that situation, you be a bit more prepared for them to happen :smile:

Also, remember that with panic attacks, you might have this little period of getting them and then never ever have one again!! I go through periods of having them and that's mainly when I'm stressed out and not resting enough. But other times I can go months without having them, so it's all personal to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's so true about rest. Getting enough sleep and eating well etc might not make them go away but it'll just make you feel a bit more in control and take the edge of things being in the knowledge you're at least trying your best to look after yourself.
Reply 7
My doctor says my panic attacks are caused by stress which I think is the case! I always seem to be under a lot of stress when they happen.

I also get the feeling that I'm dying when I have them but I know that I'm not, sometimes it makes me panic more because I do often pass out from them and I think one day I'll pass out and not wake up again!

I've learnt from my experience of them that I'm better dealing with them when I'm with someone as they can reassure me however I am now in university and the people I live with don't know about them and wouldn't know how to deal with me if I were to have one.. So that's why I'm trying to gain other ideas on what to do.

I feel music helps me to calm down sometimes but not all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest