Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, i am currently in yr11 and my school is offering fsmq for those who want to do it - its voluntary.
    i was just wondering what its like and is it worth doing?
    Is it just as hard as AS level maths etc?
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h_sw)
    hi, i am currently in yr11 and my school is offering fsmq for those who want to do it - its voluntary.
    thank you
    Harder than gcse maths easier than as level maths, helps you in as level anlot though.
    It's an extra gcse why not, if you can cope with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Harder than gcse maths easier than as level maths, helps you in as level anlot though.
    It's an extra gcse why not, if you can cope with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually, it's a very challenging course. The papers are extremely challenging. It is harder than AS Level papers. And no, it's not an "extra GCSE", it's three times harder than any GCSE subject that you're taking. It enhances your performance in A level maths. Some people got U in their Additional Maths exam but are flying through the AS course with 90% in their tri-weekly results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h_sw)
    thank you
    I am also in year 11 and started additional at the start of the year. It is challenging because there are a lot of new concepts in maths that are way above GCSE level but some topics build on A/A* topics. It has actually helped me understand harder GCSE questions and if you are doing A-Level maths it will help you a lot and give you a slight advantage compared to students who didn't do it (coming from my maths teacher). Sometimes it stresses me out if i don't understand something but it can be very rewarding when i actually do

So in my opinion you should take it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoolKid98189)
    Actually, it's a very challenging course. The papers are extremely challenging. It is harder than AS Level papers. And no, it's not an "extra GCSE", it's three times harder than any GCSE subject that you're taking. It enhances your performance in A level maths. Some people got U in their Additional Maths exam but are flying through the AS course with 90% in their tri-weekly results.
    I don't know if your statistics are true lol, but I was told it's an extra gcse not sure.
    However, I never said it was an easy course. I'm going to be doing it after june 2015 anyway lol only reason why I'll do good maybe and hopefully is because I've got help from bro who got like 100% in nearly every module for A level maths 8/11. Also, I've got 1 of the additional maths book, ready for 2015.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if your statistics are true lol, but I was told it's an extra gcse not sure.
    However, I never said it was an easy course. I'm going to be doing it after june 2015 anyway lol only reason why I'll do good maybe and hopefully is because I've got help from bro who got like 100% in nearly every module for A level maths 8/11. Also, I've got 1 of the additional maths book, ready for 2015.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, my teacher makes us revise from past papers only, no textbook because he says it's stupid and pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoolKid98189)
    Yeah, my teacher makes us revise from past papers only, no textbook because he says it's stupid and pointless.
    I've got past papers text books, mathswatch, everything. Lol

Are you taking gcse maths early?
    Predicted grade?
    Are you going to do add maths if you take it early?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is a bit late but we've been told it is separate to our GCSEs, ('free standing' maths qualification), so it shouldn't influence your average grade score for your GCSES.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h_sw)
    thank you
    I did FSMQ last year and got an A. It is _much_ harder than maths, much worse than even Further Maths GCSE. I would argue, that having covered all units in A Level (AS + A2) maths that it is about as hard - granted, you cover fewer topics, but some of the stuff that comes up on the FSMQ is crazy (considering it would be sat at the same time as maths GCSE). Regardless, it is doable. Even if you get a U it doesn't matter too much (as university offers won't be based on it), but if you do well in it you can put it on your personal statement and other things - so either way it is a good idea to do it. Also if you do it then it will make GCSE Maths seem easier, and if you do Maths/Further Maths A Level it will give you a step up to make it easier.

ReputationRep:
    Here to anyone doing maths and needs help: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...cification.php

ReputationRep:
    I've got past papers text books, mathswatch, everything. Lol

Are you taking gcse maths early?
    Predicted grade?
    Are you going to do add maths if you take it early?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have already taken it a year early. In June 2014 I got 149/200 which was an A because the paper was so confusing. So I retook in November 2014 and I got 167/200 which was an A*.

I'm doing Additional Maths right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerplexedBird)
    Here to anyone doing maths and needs help: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...cification.php
    Awesome! If only there was one for FSMQ!

Also look at astarexamanswers.co.uk too it's by Dr Zargle.

ReputationRep:
    This course also gives UCAS points too

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's basically just AS level maths, but with a few (like one or two) topics missing

You'll probably find it hard, and may not even get a good grade (I personally got an E) but it really does help with AS maths, as you are REMEMBERING rather than LEARNING which really does make life that much easier.

Hope my opinion helps, ask any questions and I'll try to answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.