Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :eek::eek:

Ok
    I have bee doing Spanish for about 6 months now, and we are learning about the different verbs- Jugar- to play, being the example.

I play=Juego
    You play=Juegas
    He.she plays=juega
    and so on

I learnt french first, so anything that I leanr in Spanish, i try to relate back to French. In french we learnt that verbs work like this:

I play=Je joue
    You play=Tu joues
    She/he plays=Elle/il joue
    so you can see the main difference here is that in french, you include the personal pronouns (I, you, she etc) before the verb, and in spanish, you don't.
    I was ready to accept this, when I was looking through my spanish textbook, and I saw things like:Yo soy- I am. This includes the personal pronoun before the verb-(eres)

I tried looking it up on the internet to see if this verb was an exception, or if there was a rule as to when to put yo or tu in front of the verb, but could't find any answer, in fact, it made me more confused, because on the websites i went onto, it made it seem like everybody used prepositions before verbs, and that I had been taught wrong?

Can anyone help? Please?

ReputationRep:
    You don't generally put the pronoun first unless you want to emphasise or make it clear which "person" the verb is in. So as a general rule you don't put the pronoun in as it is understood what you are talking about without it but you could out it in if you want

ReputationRep:
    Yo don't need the pronoun because of the verb endings so they are pointless if you are saying a normal phrase.
    It just depends on who writes it, yo soy doesn't need the yo so don't worry about that.
    Later on you will come across emphatic pronouns to emphasise the subject but you don't need to worry about that.

I am doing alevel spanish so if you need any help just ask (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sthompson897)
    :eek::eek:

Ok
    I have bee doing Spanish for about 6 months now, and we are learning about the different verbs- Jugar- to play, being the example.

I play=Juego
    You play=Juegas
    He.she plays=juega
    and so on

I learnt french first, so anything that I leanr in Spanish, i try to relate back to French. In french we learnt that verbs work like this:

I play=Je joue
    You play=Tu joues
    She/he plays=Elle/il joue
    so you can see the main difference here is that in french, you include the personal pronouns (I, you, she etc) before the verb, and in spanish, you don't.
    I was ready to accept this, when I was looking through my spanish textbook, and I saw things like:Yo soy- I am. This includes the personal pronoun before the verb-(eres)

I tried looking it up on the internet to see if this verb was an exception, or if there was a rule as to when to put yo or tu in front of the verb, but could't find any answer, in fact, it made me more confused, because on the websites i went onto, it made it seem like everybody used prepositions before verbs, and that I had been taught wrong?

Can anyone help? Please?
    I think it's a mistake for your teacher to begin teaching you like that. Normally when people begin learning spanish you would include the personal pronouns for each verb.

It's only once you have a good understanding of Spanish that you begin to use sentences and get the hang of it without personal pronouns being present. That said, there are many cases in everyday speech where the personal pronouns are used, it's not as if you never ​use them, otherwise they would become obsolete.

ReputationRep:
    You can use the personal pronouns for emphasis but you generally don't use them

For example..

Cómete la sopa .... tú cómete la sopa

The latter is more "you, not the other person, eat up your soup come on!"

Jake

ReputationRep:
    Never put a pronoun

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.