Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This may be a stupid question but please don't laugh. The last couple of weeks it stings when I pee and I noticed some blood in my pants that wasn't period. Its not sexually transmitted I don't think as I had a test and it was clear and since then all I've done is been touched by a couple of guys. So what is it? I would go to the drs but am worried I'd be wasting their time if its not serious. Many thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You are worried, so go off to the doctors!

It's probably an 'ordinary' urinary tract infection (UTI) - many women pick these up from time to time without doing anything obvious to cause it. It's also possible that their hands weren't clean one way or another.

Just didn't want to go there and feel like a time waster! But think I will go. Didn't realise you could get UTIs for no reason. Thanks for the advice
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Whether or not you believe in evolution, it's obvious the female urinary system was certainly not designed by anyone competent! I'd be surprised if most women didn't have a 'no reason' UTI at some point in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    I heard cranberry juice can be good for UTIs or just drinking a lot of anything to try and flush the bacteria out.

Thanks will go buy some cranberry juice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks will go buy some cranberry juice!
    Did you see a doctor?
    If not, go, especially if you've had it for a couple of weeks, the longer you have it, the more time it has to travel furthre up the urinary tract and to the kidneys, which you really don't want.

In all fairness, drinking plenty of water will do just as much good as cranberry juice for you. The most important thing is you drink loads to flush it out, but also see a doctor and get antibiotics too. If you're struggling for an appointment, a walk in centre will also be able to do this.

FInally got round to booking an appointment for next week!

ReputationRep:
    It is a sign of an STD, you definitely need to see the doctors

(Original post by hizzbani)
    It is a sign of an STD, you definitely need to see the doctors
    It can't be an STD you need to have sex to get an STD

ReputationRep:
    It can't be an STD you need to have sex to get an STD
    Not strictly true, but in this case, yes, it will be a UTI not an STD
    FInally got round to booking an appointment for next week! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/imag...lies/smile.png
    If you're still having symptoms, and its been this long, you really NEED to see someone before next week. the longer you leave it, the more chance it has to travel to your kidneys, which is when it can get really nasty, and the longer you leave any infection untreated (if your body doesn't clear it within the first few days/week) the higher your risk of septicemia (blood poisoning) Trust me, you don't want that. Either could put you in hospital. Thats how potentially serious it can be if you leave it too long. If you can't get in til next week, call out of hours tomorrow or go to a walk in centre.

Make sure you're drinking plenty!!

ReputationRep:
    As the above said, definitely get it check out asap, a kidney infection can result in very horrible things! Cranberry juice definitely helps me, and you can buy pills of cranberry extract. Obviously lots of water is good too, you want to make yourself pee as much as possible :P

I find the best way to book a quick appointment is to go to the surgery in the morning and ask for an appointment that day - they can't blow off like they do over the phone that way

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a UTI..
    make sure that you drink tonnes of water, cranberry juice and also when I had one, I had a teaspoon of baking soda in water (absolutely disgusting) but it really helped.. As long as you drink a lot, it'll hopefully flush it through.
    If it doesn't go, go straight to the doctors and they'll give you a course of antibiotics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triton_sur_jade)
    sounds like a UTI..
    make sure that you drink tonnes of water, cranberry juice and also when I had one, I had a teaspoon of baking soda in water (absolutely disgusting) but it really helped.. As long as you drink a lot, it'll hopefully flush it through.
    If it doesn't go, go straight to the doctors and they'll give you a course of antibiotics
    Oh gosh yes baking soda in water is great - disgusting but it does relieve the burning sensation. It tastes the same as the relief stuff you can get from chemists so I guess it's the same thing. It does only relieve and not cure though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the taste is a shocker when you have baking soda, but it really will make you feel more human aha. Just baking soda, cranberry juice and litres upon litres of water.
    When I had a UTI, I ended up drinking 12 of those large flavoured volvic water bottles! I peed a lot, definitely helped though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.