Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I feel like I should apologize for essentially moaning right now, but I really feel like I should just write this all out and see if anyone out there has any advice? Thanks so much!
    I really hate my college. Firstly, I never wanted to leave my school, which didn't have a sixth form, and so I went to this college which everyone said was really good. I looked around, thought about my options, and actively decided that it would be the place to go. However, from my first day it has just been awful.
    It has put me off all my courses - I don't know whether to blame my teachers exactly (it's not like they're mean or anything) but I just feel like the courses are boring, I've no idea what I'm doing, and they're just putting me off doing anything in the future :/ I have tried so so hard to like the courses, persevered since September, but just have to face facts now: I hate them.
    I haven't made friends either, and my friends that I had in September have grown fairly distant - I just don't get on with them anymore. I know it's like, 'just pull yourself together and talk to new people', but a) I have pretty bad social anxiety, and b) it's a bit late now...
    And that's another thing: The pastoral support is dreadful. The website and prospectus said the pastoral care was great, etc. But I had a note from an NHS psychiatrist who I used to see for over a year (due to social anxiety and stuff), and spoke to the pastoral person, and asked for counselling, and I've heard next to nothing! No help, no support, and one generic, non-personalized email before Christmas. I'm feeling really alone...
    Most of my subjects, like 3 and 1/2 of 4 of them, I find genuinely interesting. I just don't like the course at my college. So I don't know whether or not to leave my college?! How hard is it to start new courses mid-term? Would anywhere else be any better? Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MozForever)
    So I feel like I should apologize for essentially moaning right now, but I really feel like I should just write this all out and see if anyone out there has any advice? Thanks so much!
    I really hate my college. Firstly, I never wanted to leave my school, which didn't have a sixth form, and so I went to this college which everyone said was really good. I looked around, thought about my options, and actively decided that it would be the place to go. However, from my first day it has just been awful.
    It has put me off all my courses - I don't know whether to blame my teachers exactly (it's not like they're mean or anything) but I just feel like the courses are boring, I've no idea what I'm doing, and they're just putting me off doing anything in the future :/ I have tried so so hard to like the courses, persevered since September, but just have to face facts now: I hate them.
    I haven't made friends either, and my friends that I had in September have grown fairly distant - I just don't get on with them anymore. I know it's like, 'just pull yourself together and talk to new people', but a) I have pretty bad social anxiety, and b) it's a bit late now...
    And that's another thing: The pastoral support is dreadful. The website and prospectus said the pastoral care was great, etc. But I had a note from an NHS psychiatrist who I used to see for over a year (due to social anxiety and stuff), and spoke to the pastoral person, and asked for counselling, and I've heard next to nothing! No help, no support, and one generic, non-personalized email before Christmas. I'm feeling really alone...
    Most of my subjects, like 3 and 1/2 of 4 of them, I find genuinely interesting. I just don't like the course at my college. So I don't know whether or not to leave my college?! How hard is it to start new courses mid-term? Would anywhere else be any better? Thanks so much
    Unfortunately, I can't comment on starting a fresh mid-term as I have no experience in doing this... although last year a girl joined my chemistry class half way through after doing a different exam board and I think she is doing okay
    As for the rest of it, I would suggest just trying to stick it out unless things get a lot worse. It is not too late to make new friends and however hard it seems (I have had trouble in the past) it is possible. I am currently going through Y13 without anyone I can truly say is my friend.
    Have you tried speaking to any of your teachers or anyone else in your college about your concerns or persisted with your counselling?
    Sorry if this isn't useful but I'm not really sure what else to suggest

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.