Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Here is a thread for those participating in Tough Mudder this year. Feel free to discuss training routines, what you're excited about, which one(s) you're going to etc.

I myself am participating in the North-west one in Manchester in September. I don't know of anyone else doing it, so would be keen to make a team or join one!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Thinking about doing the London South one, which is actually near Southampton. Have a few other people wanting to do it, just need to get them to sign up!

ReputationRep:
    My partner has signed up to do several of these this year, so I'm interested to see what others are doing to prepare so maybe I can point him in the direction of this thread .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJ)
    Thinking about doing the London South one, which is actually near Southampton. Have a few other people wanting to do it, just need to get them to sign up!
    Nag them until they do! :P
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Milanikins)
    Nag them until they do! :P
    I will! Ticket prices go up at the end of the month it's an incentive to sign up now!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. I've done this twice (2014 and 2012). I can't afford it this year, but I might stalk this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in no shape to do it presently but I'd love to do it once I get properly fit. I'm already doing the 10k in May so that's giving me an incentive for now, if I can do that and get in/stay in proper shape I'll defo try a Tough Mudder either at the end of 2015 or 2016!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Awesome. I've done this twice (2014 and 2012). I can't afford it this year, but I might stalk this thread.
    Anything you can share with us then with your expertise? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milanikins)
    Anything you can share with us then with your expertise? :P
    Sure - feel free to ask anything I didn't post anything like that, because I wasn't sure if people here had already done it.

I'll be honest - I wasn't great at it. I didn't run the whole way, and I had to miss out two obstacles (out of 25 - it wasn't stamina, it was upper body strength that was the issue). I'm hoping to complete it fully next time.

Random things:
    - The course matters. My first was really flat, but my second - lets just say don't pick a hilly one. Hills + mud.
    - Upper body strength is really important. Strangers help each other, so the walls aren't too bad (nobody except really tall, slim men with superior gymnastic ability can get up the highest ones unaided), but things like the (uphill) monkey bars really need to be properly trained for. 90% of people fell in the water - there was a huge cheer whenever anyone got across.
    - Most of the obstacles (probably 20 out of 25) are not hard to complete - they're just designed to be uncomfortable (e.g. electric shocks and icy water). The 5 hardest are things involving balance, running and jumping (quarter pipe) or upper body strength. Strength isn't enough by itself - you need to be able to jump and grab hold of things.
    - There's a lot of mud, but not as much as you would expect.
    - The obstacles break up the running - unless you are one of the first to go, and the fastest, there is often a queue at the hardest obstacles. This messes with your time, but is also a good break. You never have to run more than a mile, and often less, in between obstacles. I prefer it to a half marathon - it's much more fun.
    - Expect a time of 3-4 hours, even if you run fast in a half marathon. The mud, obstacles and waiting make things slower.

You basically get out what you put in. Anyone with a good level of fitness can complete the course in the way I did, but it takes a lot more to run the whole way and complete all the obstacles, and finish in a good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Sure - feel free to ask anything I didn't post anything like that, because I wasn't sure if people here had already done it.

I'll be honest - I wasn't great at it. I didn't run the whole way, and I had to miss out two obstacles (out of 25 - it wasn't stamina, it was upper body strength that was the issue). I'm hoping to complete it fully next time.

Random things:
    - The course matters. My first was really flat, but my second - lets just say don't pick a hilly one. Hills + mud.
    - Upper body strength is really important. Strangers help each other, so the walls aren't too bad (nobody except really tall, slim men with superior gymnastic ability can get up the highest ones unaided), but things like the (uphill) monkey bars really need to be properly trained for. 90% of people fell in the water - there was a huge cheer whenever anyone got across.
    - Most of the obstacles (probably 20 out of 25) are not hard to complete - they're just designed to be uncomfortable (e.g. electric shocks and icy water). The 5 hardest are things involving balance, running and jumping (quarter pipe) or upper body strength. Strength isn't enough by itself - you need to be able to jump and grab hold of things.
    - There's a lot of mud, but not as much as you would expect.
    - The obstacles break up the running - unless you are one of the first to go, and the fastest, there is often a queue at the hardest obstacles. This messes with your time, but is also a good break. You never have to run more than a mile, and often less, in between obstacles. I prefer it to a half marathon - it's much more fun.
    - Expect a time of 3-4 hours, even if you run fast in a half marathon. The mud, obstacles and waiting make things slower.

You basically get out what you put in. Anyone with a good level of fitness can complete the course in the way I did, but it takes a lot more to run the whole way and complete all the obstacles, and finish in a good time.
    Thank you for taking the time to write all of that, Octohedral. Is nice to see someone's own first-hand opinions on it! Time to go to the gym and work on my upper body I think haha!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm doing this this year (see my sig) absolutely scared!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Did you guys see they've released new obstacles this year? I watched some of the trailers for it, looks so mental!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJ)
    Did you guys see they've released new obstacles this year? I watched some of the trailers for it, looks so mental!
    They actually look pretty fun! Not looking forward to some of the revamped courses - https://toughmudder.co.uk/mudder-nat...=Redefined2015 - going to have to take cold showers to prepare for Arctic Enema :P

ReputationRep:
    Don't fancy it - the idea of electric shocks and icy water puts me off.

I do a lot of cross country running, about 10-12 races a year, but I get a thrill from the racing element. TM seems more of a challenge than a race.

Also: the price is a shock. I pay my running club £55 a year for membership and get entered for all team events free of charge as long as I actually do them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You lot are seriously crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You lot are seriously crazy.
    Why thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.