pepperzealot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi can someone help me?

Find the turning points on the curve with equation y=(x^2)(x+1)^8
Determine the nature of each turning points and sketch the curve.

This is what I have done so farName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421266111.201334.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  52.0 KB

What if the second derivative is still 0? In the answer at the back of the book, it is said this is a minimum? Why??

Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pepperzealot)
Hi can someone help me?

Find the turning points on the curve with equation y=(x^2)(x+1)^8
Determine the nature of each turning points and sketch the curve.

This is what I have done so farName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421266111.201334.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  52.0 KB

What if the second derivative is still 0? In the answer at the back of the book, it is said this is a minimum? Why??

Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For which value of x does it say its a minimum. It only has one minimum and maximum, they occur at x=0 and x=-0.2 respectively.
pepperzealot
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phichi)
For which value of x does it say its a minimum. It only has one minimum and maximum, they occur at x=0 and x=-0.2 respectively.
. But in the answer there are two minimums and one maximum.... x=-1 is also at a minimum…I
can not understand how can we know this is a minimum? If I substitute x=-1in to the second derivative,I will get 0.
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
. But in the answer there are two minimums and one maximum.... x=-1 is also at a minimum…I
can not understand how can we know this is a minimum? If I substitute x=-1in to the second derivative,I will get 0.
Paper and MS links?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you tried sketching the curve by plugging in some sample values of x and seeing what happens?

It should be obvious that this function is >=0 for all values of x, so the 2 values of x where it is actually 0 (x = 0 and x = -1) must be minima. For x > 0 or x < -1 the function just gets bigger and bigger in a positive sense so the curve just increases to infinity.

The only tricky point is what happens between -1 and 0 - the function is positive in this region, so to get from 0 back down to 0 again there must be (at least) one point in between where the curve turns down again and this will be a maximum.
pepperzealot
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
Have you tried sketching the curve by plugging in some sample values of x and seeing what happens?

It should be obvious that this function is >=0 for all values of x, so the 2 values of x where it is actually 0 (x = 0 and x = -1) must be minima. For x > 0 or x < -1 the function just gets bigger and bigger in a positive sense so the curve just increases to infinity.

The only tricky point is what happens between -1 and 0 - the function is positive in this region, so to get from 0 back down to 0 again there must be (at least) one point in between where the curve turns down again and this will be a maximum.
Thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (186)
29.06%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.56%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.06%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.44%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.97%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.94%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.13%

Watched Threads