Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you react when you're dumped? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested to know how people react when they are 'dumped', the reason I ask is that I recently broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years and her response shocked me, she acted as if she didn't care. Whether this was just a visage to cover how she really felt, I don't know. But it wasn't an easy break up on my behalf, it took a lot of thought and guts to do. (Baring in mind we had been together for 4 years, you'd have thought she'd have shown a little more emotion and fight)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've never been dumped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baloney)
    I'm interested to know how people react when they are 'dumped', the reason I ask is that I recently broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years and her response shocked me, she acted as if she didn't care. Whether this was just a visage to cover how she really felt, I don't know. But it wasn't an easy break up on my behalf, it took a lot of thought and guts to do. (Baring in mind we had been together for 4 years, you'd have thought she'd have shown a little more emotion and fight)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think some people just choose to disconnect as they can't deal with how strong the feelings are. That's what I usually do when I'm in pain, I suddenly just don't care and nearly nothing can make me care again for a while. Though I've never been dumped. I've only had a few relationships and they have all had quite complicated breakups, one was mutual, and one was dragged out for years, and eventually I just got away from him with the help of my boyfriend at the moment. Though I'm thinking of breaking up with him so if quite like to know the answer to this myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I've never been dumped
    You're dumped.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been dumped but if it did happen I would just get on with things. No point crying over spilt milk.

ReputationRep:
    In a previous relationship when I was dumped I tried to put up a fight and tried to convince them to change their mind- but I realised there's no point doing that and I'd rather keep my self respect. Now I just give up.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been but I imagine what you do is either **** off and deal with it or feel depressed

ReputationRep:
    Tried to act ok in front of my ex then when I met up with my friends after I just cried on their shoulders in the bar and drank whiskey and tequila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartplums)
    You're dumped.
    There is a tragic twist to this story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baloney)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've never been dumped.

The last guy I dumped though was completely the opposite to your ex. He was, literally, rolling around on the floor in the rain, crying. I felt really bad We were only dating 6 months..

ReputationRep:
    There is a tragic twist to this story
    Hmm well this is TSR....lemme guess....you've never actually had a girlfriend maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well this is TSR....lemme guess....you've never actually had a girlfriend maybe?
    Yes :proud:

I don't get the benefits but I am spared the negatives. There is a bright side to everything.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been dumped!! Awesomeness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes :proud:

I don't get the benefits but I am spared the negatives. There is a bright side to everything.
    There's a bright side to everything I guess

Okay I just realized that what I said basically repeated what you just said. It's not like me to run out of things to say...

ReputationRep:
    There's a bright side to everything I guess
    There is if you will it enough and belligerently force yourself to be optimistic.

Despair is only a few dark thoughts away :shot:

ReputationRep:
    Okay I just realized that what I said basically repeated what you just said. It's not like me to run out of things to say...
    I have obviously left you speechless. You got to go out with me now. Dems the rules.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been dumped
    Me neither :five:

I'm not sure how I'd react if it ever happened to me. I'd like to think I'd just put it behind me and get on with it. But as I've never been in a relationship before I highly doubt that, and I think I'd probably find it much harder than people who've been dating for years and have been through it all before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    Me neither :five:

I'm not sure how I'd react if it ever happened to me. I'd like to think I'd just put it behind me and get on with it. But as I've never been in a relationship before I highly doubt that, and I think I'd probably find it much harder than people who've been dating for years and have been through it all before.
    I'm just generally terrified of conflict. Which seems like a normal part of relationships looking in from the outside :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    I contemplate suicide.

Any other questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannicb)
    I've never been dumped!! Awesomeness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because you've never been in a relationship. Deceive us, why don't you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.