Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you feel if you saw cut scars on your little brothers wrist? watch

ReputationRep:
    How would you feel if you saw cut scars on your little brothers wrists?
    How would you react?
    Should you tell your parents or does that make things worse

ReputationRep:
    Coming at this from the angle of having scars on my own wrists and a little brother, I would be absolutely horrified to think of my brother going through the same thing as me. I'd also probably blame myself because I know he looks up to me and I may have influenced his decision to self-harm. I wouldn't tell my parents as I think that's his decision. However, I would talk to him myself about it and make sure he knows that he can talk to me about anything at any time. I'd also offer to go to the doctor with him if he needed me to.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who pretty much looks after my sister 24/7 (She's 13, Parents work long hours) I cannot even begin to imagine how that would make me feel.... I think the telling of parents is something they need to do themselves but I'd probablly blame myself for a week then try my best to help out I suppose...

Pretty ****e thing to have to think about

ReputationRep:
    I have been through this, I did tell my parents in the end but my sibling asked that I do it for them...

it is a horrible experience, you feel responsible because maybe you influenced them or didn't help them enough etc

ReputationRep:
    Although I don't have any siblings, hypothetically speaking...

I'd cry my eyes and and blame myself for being a bad influence for the first couple of days. Then I'd try and pick myself up and talk to him about it and try and help him through it. And no, I wouldn't tell my parents (unless if he was going to commit suicide).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Telling the parents could possibly be a bad thing to do because in my family I just can't talk to some about it, as they are to close. But at the same time you got to be careful because don't want this to sound mean but if he cuts to deep then you could lose him anyway. And then you would feel more to blame, I would definitely talk to him about it and don't try and make him stop because that makes you want to do it more, got to work with him if he will allow you and with me knowing I have someone to talk to about it helps a lot which that what you could be, but that person got to worried because It get worse he did tell someone and yeah it sucks, but in the long run it will help me. If he doesn't want to talk to you yet because you may be to close, get him to try online counselling with kooth they help a lot. And just try and support him alot so he knows you are there. Nothing worse than feeling alone but sometimes you can't help that feeling even though your not. Try and find out why he does it in the first place but don't tread to harshly try to approach it with a lot of empathy, also your not to blame in this you might feel crap about it at first but try other ways to help distract him. He may at the start of done it once but unfortunately it gets addictive and it helps a lot by getting rid of feeling that you can't seem to get rid off. Remember him knowing he has someone like you will help him a lot and you accidentally seeing those scars may be him trying to show you so you can talk to him about it and together I hope you get it sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well I was proper feeling **** last winter (generally feel **** anyway but this was significantly worse than usual) and I never came close to self harm, so for somebody to actually cut themselves I can't imagine how **** they'd have to feel and I'd hate for my brother to feel that way

Well I remember when I used to cut, my mum saw and freaked the **** out and I did NOT want her finding out in the first place so I would advise you not to go to your parents

But before my mother saw my brother did too, and I'd take his route: he sat me down and tried talking to me and told me that if I could talk to him and he wouldn't judge me, not one bit, but he didn't make it condescending or making it feel like an intervention if you get what I mean? Then he offered to take me out to take my mind off things, which I accepted. That actually meant a lot to me and made me feel so much better even though I never actually told him.

So yeah unless he asks you to I wouldn't tell your parents cos there is a high chance he'd resent you for a while

ReputationRep:
    Why would he have scars on his wrists? Was his watch too tight?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.