Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there's a difference between the words "n*gga" and "n*gger"?
    To me the former is not dereogitory and used, for want of a better term, your homies, whilst the later is a racial slur.
    Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Both are racial slurs, the only different is the endng

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenLynch9)
    Do you think there's a difference between the words "n*gga" and "n*gger"?
    To me the former is not dereogitory and used, for want of a better term, your homies, whilst the later is a racial slur.
    Thoughts?
    Just to give my two view;
    First one is a word for friends and your people, can be in reference to anyone, no matter the skin colour.
    Obviously the second is no go.

ReputationRep:
    The general stance held by entertainment and media authorities is along similar lines to your way of thinking, that is n*gga being a colloquial reference to a black person while n*gger being a literal reference to the racist association of the word. This results in the former being allowed in songs and television shows while the latter being classed as unacceptable, this is why for instance more modern songs that use n*gga are allowed while older songs that contain the word n*gger are not. Personally I don't like either version of the term and I think the intention behind how it is said is the more determining factor in regards to its possible offence rather than its spelling.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am concerned, the primary defining feature of whether a word is derogatory is how it used.

If someone were to use either word as an insult, they would be same, just as if they pronounced it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    "a" is the way black people say it, "er" is the way white people say it, supposedly
    therefore, "a" takes away the offensive context I guess

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.