Do you think there's a difference? Watch

The Wavefunction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Do you think there's a difference between the words "n*gga" and "n*gger"?
To me the former is not dereogitory and used, for want of a better term, your homies, whilst the later is a racial slur.
Thoughts?
skd1996
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Both are racial slurs, the only different is the endng
The Wavefunction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by BenLynch9)
Do you think there's a difference between the words "n*gga" and "n*gger"?
To me the former is not dereogitory and used, for want of a better term, your homies, whilst the later is a racial slur.
Thoughts?
Just to give my two view;
First one is a word for friends and your people, can be in reference to anyone, no matter the skin colour.
Obviously the second is no go.
jimi191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The general stance held by entertainment and media authorities is along similar lines to your way of thinking, that is n*gga being a colloquial reference to a black person while n*gger being a literal reference to the racist association of the word. This results in the former being allowed in songs and television shows while the latter being classed as unacceptable, this is why for instance more modern songs that use n*gga are allowed while older songs that contain the word n*gger are not. Personally I don't like either version of the term and I think the intention behind how it is said is the more determining factor in regards to its possible offence rather than its spelling.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As far as I am concerned, the primary defining feature of whether a word is derogatory is how it used.

If someone were to use either word as an insult, they would be same, just as if they pronounced it wrong.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"a" is the way black people say it, "er" is the way white people say it, supposedly
therefore, "a" takes away the offensive context I guess
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed