Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a student in the United States and I am interested in studying abroad somewhere in England, but I have no idea where. How would you rate this university? The people? The nightlife? Things to do around town? All of my options include are Nottingham Trent University, University of Chester, University of East London, University of Plymouth, University of Roehampton, University of Sunderland, London Metropolitan University, University of Reading, and University of Brighton. If you have any opinions on any of these universities, please let me know!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by mgilmann)
    I am a student in the United States and I am interested in studying abroad somewhere in England, but I have no idea where. How would you rate this university? The people? The nightlife? Things to do around town? All of my options include are Nottingham Trent University, University of Chester, University of East London, University of Plymouth, University of Roehampton, University of Sunderland, London Metropolitan University, University of Reading, and University of Brighton. If you have any opinions on any of these universities, please let me know!
    Hello!

I am a current student at the University of Reading and can tell you a bit about the university and the area!

The university has a very big green main campus which is very pretty in places. Its great that campus is so big because you are constantly meeting new people whether it be on your course (depending on the size), through clubs and societies, jobs or through other ways!

There are lots of things to do on campus and off campus. The student union runs a comedy night every fortnight and a karaoke, pub quiz and two club nights weekly. The student union club nights are the biggest nights out in Reading. Some events that have taken place at the union include a cultural show, a dance show, a 1920s themed ball and speed dating. There are also tons of clubs and societies you can join from mountaineering, poker, travel, photography, quidditch, fine art etc plus all the sports societies. For the full list click on here http://www.rusu.co.uk/activities/.

Reading itself is nice, its not very big but there are still a lot of things to do and its not in the middle of nowhere. Its very good for nightlife and there are a range of clubs you can go to each day of the week, apart from Sunday of course! There are also lots of restaurants (its especially nice going to restaurants along the riverside), cafes, a big shopping centre, a cinema and some cocktail bars. There are also live music events, poetry slams, pub quizzes and other events that run regularly in the town. Reading has some good travel links if you wanted to travel to different parts of the UK with London only being half an hour away by train. Whilst London is an amazing place, it can be very pricey especially when living there, so its nice to be able to visit it and not experience London living expenses.

The university itself offers a lot of support for your studies, job prospects and well being. Tutors are really helpful and I have had no problems going to them for help with my studies. Workshops related to enhancing specific skills, careers and wellbeing regularly run and participating in these can also contribute to gaining a RED Award- exclusive to the university whereby you complete an amount of volunteer work, job work and workshops.

I hope that helps, do ask any more questions!
    Pip, third year History of Art and English Literature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgilmann)
    Hiya! I'm at the University of Chester doing a 3 year degree (and an American) and I love it. I think it will depend on what you plan on studying though as some of the courses are better than others, I personally do Geography and International Development. That said the uni's support services are excellent (At least compared to the year I did in the US). I've never had an issue with contacting welfare and getting support, and the careers center is really helpful with employability workshops and lots of help to decide what you want to do with your life and how to get there. Volunteering department is great, as is the international welfare department. They make it really easy to transition and get help if you need it. Also International is hoping to get FAFSA ready to go at least by next year, so that's always a plus because you can get some loans!

The city is small enough that everything is easy to walk to, and you'll probably see someone you know if you go out, but it's also well linked to outside areas since we have a reasonably sized train station. I know that we have direct trains to London, Manchester, and Liverpool. Plus the international department does a lot of trips to areas around the UK at a discounted rate, which is great if you want to travel around.

Chester itself is pretty gorgeous- it's incredibly historical and has a lot of really interesting places to go. It's hard to go out to eat even without being in a historical building, or learning something new. There is loads to do- if you're randomly bored it's easy to book onto a tour of Chester, or hop up to Liverpool (only 5 pounds round trip). And the people here are so friendly. It does have some level of tourism and even outside of the University I've met quite a few people who are from other countries but living here. The University itself is full of friendly people as well, and we've got loads of societies and sports so it's really easy to meet new people.

The nightlife is decent I think. Obviously over 18 you can drink here, we have the SU which is great and cheap and puts on a good club night Friday and then cool themed nights the rest of the week, then up in town there's 2 main clubs but the nights tend to be pretty different. Loads of cool historical pubs, and plenty of normal bars. It really depends on what you're looking for but considering it's a small city, Chester has a really great variety (and that's coming from someone from outside of Chicago). Additionally the great thing about Chester is it isn't as expensive to live here as some more metropolitan areas, like London.

I think Chester was honestly a lot better than I was expecting it to be. Look into the reviews of your course there because they do vary- I've heard of some being a bit not so fun but others being incredible- I mean I absolutely love the course I'm on, the lecturers are incredibly approachable, and I really feel like I'm getting a good value for money here.

Sorry for the wall of text- hopefully this helps a bit! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.