Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can psychopaths be good men? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i see a lot of politicians that are very intelligent, inspiring and charismatic.

but some of them, i know for a fact are psychopaths.

it makes you wonder whether they can truly be in it to maximize the happiness of society.

discuss

ReputationRep:
    Most of these politicians are not psychopaths, but are in fact sociopaths.

The too are often confused, the main differences being
    Psychopaths are dangerous. They’re violent and cruel, and oftentimes downright sinister (A psychopath may purposely torture animals as a child for example.)

They show no remorse for their actions, usually because of a lesion on a part of their brain responsible for fear and judgment, known as the amygdala. Psychopaths commit crimes in cold blood. They crave control and impulsivity, possess a predatory instinct, and attack proactively rather than as a reaction to confrontation.

Sociopaths are different. They, too, may suffer from their mental illness as a result of lesioned brain regions. Upbringing may also play a larger role in a child becoming a sociopath versus those that are diagnosed as psychopaths. Sociopath behavior is manifested as conniving and deceitful, despite an outward appearance of trustworthiness or sincerity. Sociopaths are often pathological liars. They are manipulative and lack the ability to judge the morality of a situation, but not because they lack a moral compass but because they are able to 'switch off' empathy as if it were a switch, or, in more serious causes lost complete sense of empathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gonnagetrejected)
    i see a lot of politicians that are very intelligent, inspiring and charismatic...
    possibly you should move to the UK where none of our politicians could be so described.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of them start out with genuine good intentions, but after a while the power gets to their head and sociopath is brought out. I don't think it's a bad thing, some times we need to have our leaders make decisions that require little empathy. They are also very silver tongued, which is what we really want to see when they get up on the world stage. Unlike Australia's dim-witted Prime Minister and Minister for women, "Tony Abbott".

Sociopath is common in the workplace too.
    If you work in the public service, police force, media, sales, law, and especially as a surgeon you are bound to encounter sociopaths.

All of these jobs provide a huge amount of ego feeding if you will as well as a decent amount in money in some of them. And Sociopaths with their heightened charisma and manipulation climb job ladders very fast on the backs of people around them.

Jobs such as surgeon and brings on a kind of god-complex. You hold the tools of life and death in your hand. It's very satisfying for the sociopath, this complex is common in other jobs too, but normally not of this magnitude.

ReputationRep:
    no offence, but you're naive.

politicians seldom ever join politics for social betterment. Some do, but then it makes sense. CEOs can be psychopaths, and it makes sense since it's power.

politicians are ****s, and nothing ever changes no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly hope so

ReputationRep:
    Psychopaths no - I imagine it's difficult to be good when you have no concept of what that means. Sociopaths... depends.

ReputationRep:
    A sociopath could certainly be a good surgeon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Jackelot.)
    Most of these politicians are not psychopaths, but are in fact sociopaths.

The too are often confused, the main differences being
    Psychopaths are dangerous. They’re violent and cruel, and oftentimes downright sinister (A psychopath may purposely torture animals as a child for example.)

They show no remorse for their actions, usually because of a lesion on a part of their brain responsible for fear and judgment, known as the amygdala. Psychopaths commit crimes in cold blood. They crave control and impulsivity, possess a predatory instinct, and attack proactively rather than as a reaction to confrontation.

Sociopaths are different. They, too, may suffer from their mental illness as a result of lesioned brain regions. Upbringing may also play a larger role in a child becoming a sociopath versus those that are diagnosed as psychopaths. Sociopath behavior is manifested as conniving and deceitful, despite an outward appearance of trustworthiness or sincerity. Sociopaths are often pathological liars. They are manipulative and lack the ability to judge the morality of a situation, but not because they lack a moral compass but because they are able to 'switch off' empathy as if it were a switch, or, in more serious causes lost complete sense of empathy.

Your understanding of the difference is correct but I think that you have got the two confused.

Sociopaths - product of nurture; poorly adjusted to society. Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver is a sociopath. Elliot Rodger was a sociopath.

Psychopaths - something to do with development in the womb; clever, confident, glib etc. Do well in life. American Psycho is about a psychopath. Ted Bundy was a psychopath.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ath-psychopath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    A sociopath could certainly be a good surgeon.
    Wrong way round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gonnagetrejected)
    i see a lot of politicians that are very intelligent, inspiring and charismatic.

but some of them, i know for a fact are psychopaths.

it makes you wonder whether they can truly be in it to maximize the happiness of society.

discuss
    No I doubt that they can, and you've touched on something that I often wonder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borgia)
    Wrong way round
    Sorry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Sorry?
    I meant I think you mean a psychopath could be a good surgeon

ReputationRep:
    Sociopaths simply don't recognise certain aspect of being part of society.

Psychopaths simply don't recognise certain aspects of accepted behaviour.

So for example a sociopath may be involved in incest. However sociopathic behaviour would also technically refusing to pay tax. It's often used as a term to reinforce behaviours that are socially defined. Psychopathy is generally given in terms to people who lack empathy etc. Both can be argued to be due to nature or nurture but I think their definitions and usage is complete BS seeing there's no generally agreed definitions and most now group the two under the same group (aka psychopathy).

Simply having a different philosophical outlook based on perceived logic can end up with you being labelled a Psychopath.

And most Psychopaths and Sociopaths are neither dangerous or noticeable. Odds are someone you are very close to will be labelled as such under analysis without you ever realising.

ReputationRep:
    Only men then?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Whether they'd agree that actions can be labelled as good/bad is another question entirely.
    /thread

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.