Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I get into medicine with just physics and maths? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so..I'm currently deciding my A - level subjects and I am really torn on whether or not I should do physics or maths , considering I want to go into medicine. I am not particularly good in either and I would rather not want to take them as an A-Level subject but if required then there's not much I can do. I want to do biology, chemistry,psychology and history or philosophy and ethics. But if I really need maths of physics then I am willing to do biology,chemistry,physics and psychology. I've been told that physics is extremely hard and I don't want to take a subject I know I'm not going to do good in. Realistically speaking what are the chance of me getting into medicine without physics or maths? I've been told by a lot of teachers that many students get turned down. I really want to get into a Russell group university and two of my teachers without looking at my grades said it's almost impossible for me to get into medicine let alone into oxford and Cambridge despite being an A-A* student and I am determined to prove them wrong. So yes, what are the chance of me getting into a top end university for medicine without maths or physics ? Do you know any people who have gotten in?
    Many thanks
    Morisha x

ReputationRep:
    I'm not applying for this myself but I know physics and maths aren't essential. The only essential subject is chemistry. However medicine is very competitive so I'd imagine any additional sciences would be extremely useful. Maybe try emailing a few admissions offices and asking? I know for a lot of universities even have GCSE requirements (rather than just A level), fairly sure it was Birmingham (might have been another, not too sure) that ask you to have achieved 5 A*'s at GCSE because of how competitive it is.

So there is probably some truth in what your teachers are saying, don't just immediately set out to prove them wrong, research it first then make an informed decision. The last place you want to be is with the wrong set of A levels for the subject you want to study (it can happen a lot easier than you think).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.