The Student Room Group

If a fat person didn't eat for two months would they die?

Say a person was maybe very fat say maybe 35 stone if they were starved for two months would they die. As in would their fat reserves be enough for them to live off? Obviously they could drink water and also take vitamin supplements.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guy Secretan
Say a person was maybe very fat say maybe 35 stone if they were starved for two months would they die. As in would their fat reserves be enough for them to live off? Obviously they could drink water and also take vitamin supplements.

other than vitamins, minerals and water, you need proteins to keep the body working....

so yeah, they'd just loose weight, but I don't think they'd die....
they'll commit suicide after an hour of not eating, so yes
No and they'd lose a lot of weight too.

A 35 stone man, by not eating for one day, loses as much weight as I lose by jogging for 30 miles. The injustice in the world... :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Depends how fat they are.

Not eating entirely, and having you body break down fat instead is quite taxing on the body. They could die of organ failure.
Original post by Adipoptosis
No and they'd lose a lot of weight too.

A 35 stone man, by not eating for one day, loses as much weight as I lose by jogging for 30 miles. The injustice in the world... :rolleyes:

Yeah, but think of all that loose skin. :s-smilie:
Original post by Swanbow

Not eating entirely, and having you body break down fat instead is quite taxing on the body. They could die of organ failure.

Not likely. If they're adequately hydrated and given enough potassium they'll be fine. Old people go through this type of thing in hospital all the time.
Original post by Swanbow

What if they had liposuction and ate the fat that was taken out over two months?
Reply 8
Original post by generic_man
What if they had liposuction and ate the fat that was taken out over two months?

Ermm.... :lol:

Haven't a clue, but I imagine a diet of pure saturated human fat isn't ideal.
Reply 9
Original post by Adipoptosis
Not likely. If they're adequately hydrated and given enough potassium they'll be fine. Old people go through this type of thing in hospital all the time.

If it is under controlled conditions, they'll be less risk sure. But there is still potential for death, especially if the person has underlying medical conditions related to their obesity such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Original post by generic_man

That's disgusting. :s-smilie:
No they wouldn't die. They'd maybe suffer internal damage due to dehydration (provided that they didn't drink too) I'd have thought.
2 months is the limit according to experts (I just looked it up). I'm not sure what impact existing body mass would have on this limit. More research needs to be done!
http://zidbits.com/2013/06/how-long-can-you-live-off-the-fat-in-your-body/

It looks like body fat alone is not sufficient - you can run out of protein before you run out of body fat, leading to organ failure as your body cannibalises itself. 2 months is the generally accepted maximum.

However, in 1965 an obese man survived for over a year (medically monitored) eating only yeast, multivitamins and small amounts of potassium. I.e. entirely reliant on body fat for energy.
1) Lack of essential vitamins
2) Disease

They'd die.

Whoops, missed the extra supplements in the OP. That being said, assuming they aren't living in a hospital, they'd probably die to disease.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Another
1) Lack of essential vitamins
2) Disease

They'd die.

Whoops, missed the extra supplements in the OP. That being said, assuming they aren't living in a hospital, they'd probably die to disease.

What disease?
Original post by Edward Pilth
No they wouldn't die. They'd maybe suffer internal damage due to dehydration (provided that they didn't drink too) I'd have thought.

no if you didn't drink for two months you would obviously die
Original post by Octohedral

It looks like body fat alone is not sufficient - you can run out of protein before you run out of body fat, leading to organ failure as your body cannibalises itself. 2 months is the generally accepted maximum.

However, in 1965 an obese man survived for over a year (medically monitored) eating only yeast, multivitamins and small amounts of potassium. I.e. entirely reliant on body fat for energy.

I'm no doctor, but at the end of it he was probably even less healthy than being obese right?
Original post by scrotgrot
I'm no doctor, but at the end of it he was probably even less healthy than being obese right?

Apparently he was fine. He also maintained the lower weight once he started eating again.

He was being constantly monitored by a medical team though - I doubt the rest of us would be able to get the vitamin / yeast / mineral balance right.
Original post by Octohedral

Thanks for the link yeah I think a fat person may just make two months.

Quick Reply

Latest