Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sky News censors woman who holds up front cover of Charlie Hebdo magazine Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbwcBYT0DI

The courageous British Press for you.

ReputationRep:
    what absolute cowards - this isn't about offending anybody, this is about the cause of liberty and not backing down to terrorists - this is the context of the cartoons, and they know it. yet they refuse to show them?
    if they're suggesting that this whole "je suis charlie" thing has been intended purely for offence-causing, then this is hugely patronisingand cynical towards the cause of freedom of expression - freedom of expression *is* the intent, not the means to something, like offence.

ReputationRep:
    Good on them. Well done to sky news in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's preposterous and spineless, no wonder the French woman is annoyed.

But you still can't fault an individual editor for wanting to protect his staff from a potential attack at this sensitive time. It's his decision at the end of the day, you can't play roulette with the lives of journalists just to make a point, which can be made in more roundabout ways like through argument, if not quite so hard-hitting. I'm almost certain such pictures have been shown before, like those in 2006, 2011, when the political climate has been less fraught, though I don't watch the telly so I don't know.

What would have been good is if the various consortia who make up the British press had got together and resolved that they'd all show the pictures, then there would be safety in numbers and also more solidarity. The pictures have in fact been published elsewhere in the British press, for example the Guardian eventually carried it, discreetly and with a rationale, after much indignation.

In fact this highlights an interesting cultural difference between the way we and the French deal with multiculturalism.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw this. It's absolutely pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    Good on them. Well done to sky news in this case.
    why? im seriously fed up of this you cant draw mohammed rubbish. all of the old caliphates did it and this cartoon was not even insulting. getting offended at a cartoon, bloody hell do you worship mo or allah? look at the way you think. the irhabi sympathizers and supporters on ISOC and islamic awakening were way more offended at this to how do i say this a 10 year old shooting 2 people dead or 2000 innocent people butchered by boko haram. or aqap ramming a school bus with a car bomb killing around 12 school girls. reeeks of hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Yes, it's preposterous and spineless, no wonder the French woman is annoyed.

But you still can't fault an individual editor for wanting to protect his staff from a potential attack at this sensitive time. It's his decision at the end of the day, you can't play roulette with the lives of journalists just to make a point, which can be made in more roundabout ways like through argument, if not quite so hard-hitting. I'm almost certain such pictures have been shown before, like those in 2006, 2011, when the political climate has been less fraught, though I don't watch the telly so I don't know.

What would have been good is if the various consortia who make up the British press had got together and resolved that they'd all show the pictures, then there would be safety in numbers and also more solidarity. The pictures have in fact been published elsewhere in the British press, for example the Guardian eventually carried it, discreetly and with a rationale, after much indignation.

In fact this highlights an interesting cultural difference between the way we and the French deal with multiculturalism.
    the problem is they are being dishonest martin rowson in the guardian atleast came out and said he doesnt want to die for a cartoon. sky news is a annoying as hell news orginization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganhad)
    the problem is they are being dishonest martin rowson in the guardian atleast came out and said he doesnt want to die for a cartoon. sky news is a annoying as hell news orginization.
    Yeah I suppose. In general I wish people would have integrity and say what they think. Sky has many stakeholders to satisfy blah blah and the problem with this is you get dissimulation and hyper caution. Same with for example the big-tent political parties.

The US version Fox News might be literally insane but at least you know what you're getting. Over here I guess the dynamism is more in the print media than on the telly. Look to Rupe's print holdings for some more uncompromising stances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Yeah I suppose. In general I wish people would have integrity and say what they think. Sky has many stakeholders to satisfy blah blah and the problem with this is you get dissimulation and hyper caution. Same with for example the big-tent political parties.

The US version Fox News might be literally insane but at least you know what you're getting. Over here I guess the dynamism is more in the print media than on the telly. Look to Rupe's print holdings for some more uncompromising stances.
    yeah thats it you should know what your watching. sky news parades its self as being awesome its freaking cringey.

ReputationRep:
    well done to sky

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.