Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Routes to dentistry (21 years old) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

So, here's my situation. I am currently 21 years old. These are my grades:

GCSEs (2010): 1A, 5Bs, 2Cs, 2Ds
    A-Levels (2013): CEE (Business studies, Biology, Chemistry)

I know my grades are bad. I blame this on very poor work ethic.

I've been working for the last two years as well as pursuing an AAT Level 2 course via long distance. I have almost finished the course, and although I find it interesting, I've now realised I won't satisfied if I don't complete my "life's task": what I am meant to accomplish. To study dentistry.

I've contacted universities in regards to access courses and how many years out of education is required.

I see two options: 1. Start an access to science course sept. 2015, study DH&T and then apply for Dentistry via graduate entry

2. Start an access to medicine and dentistry course CWA sept. 2016 and apply for universities that accept this course.

Option 2 can only be done next year due to a lack of work experience and funds. There is also the option to study OU level 1 module, however this is recognised by only Leeds which would greatly limit my uni options and chances of getting onto the course.

I know dentistry is an incredibly competitive course to get onto. Do I have a good chance with any of these options?

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The OU do not do Access courses. OU 'access' modules are not access courses; they are only worth 30 OU credits at level 0. To put that into context, 120 OU credits at level 1 is comparable with an Access course. I see on Leeds' website that they say they will accept the Exploring science OU module (which is worth 60 credits at level 1) for entry if you have been out of education for a long time - this does not apply to you. And even if you had been out of education for a long time, this route would be a risk because as I say, most universities will expect 120 credits.

I think you should ask this question in the Dentistry forum, you will get better and more informed answers there. Both options you listed sound plausible to me, although you will have to work very hard and get a lot of relevant work experience to make a competitive application. Could you not re-do your A levels? Have you thought about studying abroad? I believe there a few dentistry degrees in Europe which are taught in English, they might be easier to get onto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    The OU do not do Access courses. OU 'access' modules are not access courses; they are only worth 30 OU credits at level 0. To put that into context, 120 OU credits at level 1 is comparable with an Access course. I see on Leeds' website that they say they will accept the Exploring science OU module (which is worth 60 credits at level 1) for entry if you have been out of education for a long time - this does not apply to you. And even if you had been out of education for a long time, this route would be a risk because as I say, most universities will expect 120 credits.

I think you should ask this question in the Dentistry forum, you will get better and more informed answers there. Both options you listed sound plausible to me, although you will have to work very hard and get a lot of relevant work experience to make a competitive application. Could you not re-do your A levels? Have you thought about studying abroad? I believe there a few dentistry degrees in Europe which are taught in English, they might be easier to get onto.
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I meant OU Level 1. You're right, it is a risky option and would limit me greatly.

I don't think retaking A-Levels is a viable option as it would take two years and there aren't any adult A-Level courses available close by afaik. Doing it via long distance may difficult in regards to experiments? There's a lot more support available doing an access course.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I've had replies from most of the universities that accept access courses as an alternative means of entering dentistry. It seems possible. Some unis have 6As as GCSEs requirements which would need me to resit a few.

Are there any students here that have entered dentistry via an access course?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.