Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am at uni in a different town from Sunday-Thursday, so the only job I could do is weekends and evenings. Unfortunately, a lot of businesses in my area are not hiring! Especially just a 10 hour contract kinda vacancy.

My student loan covers my living expenses, but the problem is I am moving to Spain in September for my year abroad and I would like to have savings to fall back on - hence the hunt for a job. Now, this is where I'm going to sound mental.

Recently I've started making bath bombs, purely because I cannot afford the expensive bathbombs at the store I like lol! So my mum gave me the suggestion to start selling them, at least while I'm still searching for a job. She said it would be an easy way to make a little bit of money towards my flights etc. The problem is I don't know where to start? Would this even be a good idea?

I always see people I know on Facebook selling things they have baked, or jewellery they have made or sometimes even girls charging people to do their make up, hair and nails. So that's why I'm thinking this might be a good idea? Purely because not only my family and friends, but also people I know from passing (noseying on Instagram) use bathbombs often. All from the store that, maybe they are not so expensive, but it is the fact you have to spend £3-6 on one bath bomb each time. That's why I started to think this would be a good idea.

I could make a Facebook page, and post the prices on websites like Gumtree or Buy, Sell, Swap on Facebook.

I'm grasping at straws here. I desperately need to start my savings for Spain. Does anyone have experience in this kind of thing? Selling stuff they have made? What do I need to know about it?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations. You've taken the first step towards self-employment.

I don't have any particular experience in selling a product like yours, so I won't be that much help. However I think you'd be wise to use social media to advertise and facilitate trade. Word of mouth through family and friends also. Try not to significantly undercut your competitors, the increase in trade usually doesn't make up for the smaller profit margin if you are a very small trader. Keep a good account of your expenditure and income. Aside from that I think you will do fine, go for it. Doesn't mean you have to stop looking for a part time job though, you might do well looking at working in pubs with the hours you are available. Hopefully something comes up, and the bath bombs work out. Best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much!

May as well give it a go while I'm searching for a job! If it doesn't work out, at least I tried

ReputationRep:
    That's a great idea!

ReputationRep:
    Have you had a look at Etsy? They have a blog with lots of advice for people who want to sell handmade goods.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.