Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could you please offer any suggestions for my friend? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was looking for help for my best friend who I love dearly as she has mental health issues they have said she shows signs of multiple disorders but have said they think she is bipolar and she also has a undiagnosed eating disorder, which is the part that is really scaring me the most as just as she seemed to be getting better and gaining her weight she is now being sick a lot again and not eating much, we went out yesterday and she was sick 3 times and a fourth when she got back home.

She is under a fair bit of stress also as her daughters dad is trying to get custody of there child. I hate seeing how fragile she is as I don’t want her to get to the point again where she tries to take her own life but the stress she is under and the way things are going I can see that happening I have spoken to her and she has essured me that she won’t but she essured me last year then tried to take her life the night before my birthday.

It is like it is becoming a cycle infact it has become a cycle, cause I was talking to her mom and she told me aged around 13-14 this started and despite her mom trying to get help none was offered, she also said it is always the months January to july or so she notices that my friend is at her worst mental health wise so for the past 7-8 years it has been like this.

She does have a mental health team now aged 21 but they are not being very helpful, when she needs them there is no one there, with last years attempt she told her mental health worker/ care worker what she planned to do the woman simply said “don’t do it” then left.

So I wondered are there any services that havent been cut that could possibly help her.

Sorry for the essay.

ReputationRep:
    I did add could you sign this girls petition also but never got to add the link, it is about the cuts to young peoples menatl health services cuts. The mod removed that bit for the obvious reason.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youngmindsvs.org.uk/no_help

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's important for your friend to immediately arrange to see a different mental health team (or CPN if she has one). At the end of the day, you cannot always get on well with who you are assigned to. So the sooner she gets this process underway, the sooner she can start getting some real help. Please be there to support her, as I know how hard it is to get the motivation to want to continue helping yourself (especially when the mental health service is failing you).
    In the mean time there's always the option for her of paying for some private sessions. I know these can be expensive, but your friend has to try and weigh up the cost of the service against the cost of her health. (Also if these are mostly during the transition from one team to another it may help her for that short period). Inevitably, not everybody can afford these private sessions (I know I can't), and this is what is so frustrating. The mental health service in this country is appalling in some places.
    There are also some free online resources that she can look at and perhaps if you are close with her you can help her with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.