Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ill try and make this as concise as possible

Im due to go back to University in January to complete my final semester of my third year. Unfortunately I've in 12/13 I had to withdraw because my father fell seriously ill and as my sisters were still in school and my mum was working to support the family I had to look after him. And then in 13/14 I went back in January but my father was still having the same problems and on top of that my youngest sister had an operation which meant she had to stay at home during a crucial period of my academic year, so I had to withdraw again to be at home with her (shes 8)

Now I'm attempting to return again as things are better, my oldest sister has finished school and is home more, my mother works from home and my grandparents have also moved to leeds so I can fully concentrate on my studies

But student finance are asking for compelling personal reasons as I have already used the 3+1 gift year. Would these be suffice as compelling reasons? has anyone been through this process before? Would me applying late have an affect on the outcome? The reason I applied late was because I wasnt aware that I could get compelling personal reasons

Thanks for any help
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello Ldr1,

The application for Compelling Personal Reasons is handled on a case by case basis so I would be unable to confirm if this would be granted.

What I would recommend you do is write us a covering letter detailing the compelling personal reasons & how this affected your studies, please be as date specific as you can.

If you then back this up with evidence such as Dr's letters, Letters from University, letter from any other Professional Person not related to you we can look into this for you.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Mark

I know you can't sat this would be granted but would you be able to say I have grounds to make a case for CPR?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

there are no specific grounds for CPR to be granted. It has been previously granted on the grounds of having to care for family members due to illness or bereavement so I would say you do have a case.

When supplying evidence just ensure anyone supplying documents is clear about how the illness and care of your sisters directly effected your ability to study and made it impossible to complete your course naturally.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've written a covering letter highlighting how it affected my ability to study, along with a doctors note saying that I had to help care and have not been able to give full attention to my studies. What other documents would you recommend sending?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Also, I've heard that if my case were to be rejected my tuition load that I would receive would be £0 but I would still receive a maintenance loan. Is this true?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello, that evidence sounds fine to me but what will happen is the assessors will look at it and see if they can accept it. Even if they don't accept it, they will give a reason (the most common problem we see with this type of thing is that the Doctor's letter doesn't state clearly enough how the situation prevented you from continuing with the course) and you will have the opportunity to get more evidence to support your case.

If we are unable to grant CPR for any reason you will still receive the maintenance loan, but no tuition fee loan or maintenance grant.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks for that. I've yet to send of my evidence but I've just received a notification of entitlement letter through stating that I'll receive tuition fee maintenance grant and loan

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean they've accepted my application without looking for CPR?

I also have a letter from the university saying I was allowed temporary leave from university to care for my sister. Is the combined evidence quite strong? And does the doctor letter have to go into great detail about how it prevented me from studying? Or just mention that it did. It's just they don't tend to write very detailed doctor notes

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

No, as long as the doctor's note refers to the fact that it prevented you studying it should be OK, that combined with the letter from the university should be absolutely fine.

It's strange they've awarded you the funding without seeing the evidence, they wouldn't normally do that. I think it would be best to call us on 0300 100 0607 so we can check your account for the assessor's note to see why they've assessed you, as something may have changed in regards to your course details.

If this is the case, then we may not even need to see the evidence, but I would recommend sending it in anyway so we have it scanned on the system, just in case we need it for future reference.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I believe the exact line is "I had not been able to give full attention to my studies." Is that wording change significant? Or would you say I'm worrying just a bit too much. Sorry for this Mark, you've been a great help

Saif

ReputationRep:
    Hi Saif,

No that's fine, no problem at all! The wording sounds fine to me, but as I say it is up to the assessor's discretion.

The best thing to do is send in what you have just now, that way the assessor's can check and we'll know for sure either way if it has been accepted or not.

If they don't accept in for any reason you will still have plenty of opportunities to send in more evidence, so the best thing just now is to send something off so we can get it processed as quickly as possible.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark

Just to confirm is the address I need to send it to the one below

Student Finance England

PO BOX 210
    Darlington
    DL1 9HJ

I also managed to speak to someone on the phone and they said it looks as if my application has been approved but there is a note on my record requesting the evidence. However they did say it looks as if its already been approved without it. Maybe from information they already have or were given by me previously over the phone/

I really hope now after I've sent it in they won't go back on it and reject it

Thanks

Saif

ReputationRep:
    Hello Saif,

Yes that is the correct address.

They wouldn't usually be able to approve it without seeing the evidence, so I don't know how they've managed to do that, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Just send us in the evidence and that way we will have it on your file in case anyone needs to see it. From what you've said, you do definitely have a case for compelling personal reasons so it will be absolutely fine!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark

I sent the evidence yesterday and they got it today. I logged into my account and it look as if they've now rejected it which is worrying. Its saying I'm not entitled to a tuition fee loan whereas before it said I was!

They've yet to actually say anything to me, but do you know what I could do? If i ring them up tommorow will they be able to tell me why it was rejected

Thanks

Saif

ReputationRep:
    Hi again.

There are issues with some payments not showing correctly online so this may be why the fees aren't showing. You can call us again and we can check if there have been any changes to your entitlement and if any reassessments have been carried out.

If the evidence was only just received it won't have been processed yet, it's currently taking a week to review this from receipt so it definitely won't have been rejected as yet.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark

I've just realized that on my application I put I'm living with my parents when in fact I'm not for the moment. I will be at the end of the year after my course finishes. I believe this affects my entitlement, do you know how I would change this so entitlement can be updated? Also would I have to send in any proof or evidence of this?

Thanks

Saif

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

You can change this online or by calling us on 0300 100 0607. No evidence is required.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark!

Great to have you here! I also would like to kindly ask for your advice. I received student finance for the 13/14 period, then took approved leave of absence from studies, thanks to my tutor approving this request and a letter from the doctor about my depression and family commitments. I then returned back to the same university, on the same course to repeat YR 1 (the period of 14/15), and obviously received student finance for this too. But then dropped out again. Therefore I only have potential CPR evidence for the 13/14 period, and will be using this. I now have a place at another university, and today have phoned SFE to ask what to do and how to apply. I have been told that I am not eligible for any support for my first year of my new degree and would have to self-fund my studies, and will be able to get student finance for the last two years of my new degree course.

I have also been told to fill in a PN1 form. My question is, shall I include my evidence and all the CPR along with the PN1 and send it all together, or should it be sent separately? I'm not sure how to go around it.

Sorry for the long statement.
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    H Mark,
    My GP surgery just wrote to confirm that i was diagnose with a particular condition and has had biopsys three times in three years. will that be enough?Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.