Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if this is possible? They are two Universities in my city and i want to join a society at the University i do not attend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous15)
    Anyone know if this is possible? They are two Universities in my city and i want to join a society at the University i do not attend.
    Normally, this isn't possible, as most societies gain insurance etc through the SU, and this will only be available to cover students at the particular uni. However, if you're really interested, then you may as well contact the society- the worst they can say is no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Normally, this isn't possible, as most societies gain insurance etc through the SU, and this will only be available to cover students at the particular uni. However, if you're really interested, then you may as well contact the society- the worst they can say is no.

Thank you, your right, the worst they can say is no! :P
    im just afriad as its already half way through a year to be joining societies let alone from a different uni

ReputationRep:
    What society do you want to join? Where? Why do you want to join it? Is there a similar youth club you can join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous15)
    Thank you, your right, the worst they can say is no! :P
    im just afriad as its already half way through a year to be joining societies let alone from a different uni
    Loads of people join new societies in January! Some unis even have a re-freshers fair for this reason, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I agree that if you can't join the society, I would look at ways to join a non-student organisation/club for the activity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    What society do you want to join? Where? Why do you want to join it? Is there a similar youth club you can join?
    I want to join the Hindu cultural society at Cambridge uni. I currently attend Anglia Ruskin uni and this uni does not have a Hindu cultural society. (its quite a small uni)
    The main reason is to find new people to be friends with.
    I came to uni luckily with a friend (from college) who is doing the same course as me, and i have always been with them in every social occasion and i feel like i haven't made many friends or ever been out of my comfort zone yet (because they are always with me).
    Also with the current friends that i hang out with i don't think i have clicked with anybody yet. I feel so lonely and sometimes depressed, so i just wanted to put myself out there and learn new experiences.
    Is this a good idea for me to join a society?

ReputationRep:
    I continued to be a member of a society at my undergrad uni, after I'd graduated and whilst I was studying a Masters at another uni. Evening guest lectures arranged by the society were open to members of the public, as long as they paid a nominal entry fee.

So it's possible but may depend on the uni regs and type of activities.

Asking would be a great idea and I don't see why it would be a problem for them or you, as long as uni regs permit it.

ReputationRep:
    It might be possible! It's not very common, but my university music society has at least one member who goes to the other university in the city, as well as some members of the public who are connected to the uni in some way.

ReputationRep:
    It's fairly common for some form of reciprocal arrangement to be in place, though it's equally common for very few people to actually know about it!

I know such agreements exist between both Bristol & UWE and Manchester & MMU. However, do be aware that if it's a sports society you're looking to join, you won't be able to compete in BUCS leagues for a university other than you own (though you may still be able to train with them / compete in individual events under the name of your own uni / compete in non-BUCS events with them).

Joining part way through the year is also really common - most societies are just glad to have a few more members!

ReputationRep:
    Normally I'd say no problem. But the snobs at Cambridge letting Ruskin scum in? Fat chance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.