Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm graduating next year with a degree in Linguistics with Spanish. I have no teaching experience but I need some advice on the next steps.

    I want to teach English as a foreign language and/or as a subject (GCSE, A-Level) in the further education sector (adults).

    Do I need to pick one and specialise in one area, or is there a course which would enable me to teach both EFL and as a subject?

    And how do you know what is best? A 12-week CELTA course or a 2-year part time Literacy with ESOL course, with 120 hours of teaching practice, offered by UCL? Since I have no former teaching practice?

    Any help, insight, experience or advice would really help! Thanks

    It really depends on a lot of other factors, like what countries you're planning to teach in, what exactly are you teaching (do you mean GCSE and a-levels for adults?), and where (state schools, private schools, tutorial schools, language schools) you're planning to teach at.

    CELTA prepares you to teach English as an additional language typically outside of an English-speaking country. It's usually just something to add to your CV, but doesn't count for much per se. It's not a postgraduate qualification or a proper teaching qualification (ie one that's recognised formally by any government in the world), and is only useful if you already have a bachelor's degree (which you do), and better if you have a relevant one (which you do, though English would've been a lot better - I think in your case you're most qualified to teach Spanish speakers learning English).

    I don't know what the ESOL course is - is that a PGCE? A PGCE is a proper teaching qualification in the UK. It's not outside of it but it's better than just CELTA.

    Another thing you might consider is an MA in TESOL.
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.