Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Welcome Squad
    ..has now been made even harder on stretches of motorway in the UK now. Not that I'm condoning people speeding, but come on, everyone does it at some point in there life.

700 people have been caught in the last couple of months on the M25 because of this..do you think this is another excuse to give the government more money?

Do you think the motorway speed limit should be increased on the motorways? Even if it was 5-10mph more than the national. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I think, that where there is already a variable speed limit, there is no reason it cannot go up to 100 mph when appropriate.

I also think that since it is not speeding that causes pile-ups, but lines of cars driving too close, that being < 1 second from the car in front when over 60 mph should be 3 points, and 6 points in bad weather. Being within a car's length of the car in front over 70mph should be automatically dangerous driving.

In clear, dry weather, and 2 seconds from the car in front, and using your indicators, and looking before changing lanes, there's no reason why we couldn't be doing 120 mph in a modern car.

But while we have tossers in Audis and BMWs sitting nose-to-tail, chatting on their mobiles, changing lanes without indicating, cutting people up, we might be better off bringing it down to 50.

The middle-lane cruisers need dealing with too.

ReputationRep:
    I think certain sections of motorway should be totally derestricted at certain times of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Speed limits were designed to keep drivers safe... in the 1960s.

Cars have come on massively in terms of power and safety since then, and this has not been reflected. Many modern engines are barely ticking over at 80.

Only issue I can see with derestriction of motorways is chavs and boy racers in pimped out 1.2 Corsas and the like trying to max out their cars and causing massive danger to everyone else.

Maybe a special license for people over a certain age/length license held driving cars of a certain age and engine size could be introduced to allow those responsible enough to drive faster? I reckon loads would do it, and it would help promote safer high speed driving.

ReputationRep:
    Scrap car age - car condition. A 20 year old V8 Jag or Beamer is just as capable of relaxed driving at high speeds as many cars today...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that's interesting - I couldn't read the whole article, but I saw a very bright flash four times (two flashes twice) in my mirror when on the M25 (leaving the Bell Common tunnel) over Christmas. It would be quite interesting to know what speed they were being triggered at. It also appears that the guidelines on speed camera visibility are either being rescinded or ignored - the cameras at the mouth of the Bell Common tunnel you would never see unless looking for them and traveling in the opposite direction.

ReputationRep:
    700 people in a couple of months on the busiest road in the country really is not a lot, is it? In fact it's just about 10 a day, whereas a quick google suggests some 75,000-100,000 vehicles use the road daily.

Now anyone who drives on the motorway knows that the vast majority of people are speeding, so I suspect therefore that the threshold for issuing a ticket is therefore quite high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    Speed limits were designed to keep drivers safe... in the 1960s.

Cars have come on massively in terms of power and safety since then, and this has not been reflected. Many modern engines are barely ticking over at 80.

Only issue I can see with derestriction of motorways is chavs and boy racers in pimped out 1.2 Corsas and the like trying to max out their cars and causing massive danger to everyone else.

Maybe a special license for people over a certain age/length license held driving cars of a certain age and engine size could be introduced to allow those responsible enough to drive faster? I reckon loads would do it, and it would help promote safer high speed driving.

Got to be all or nothing. How unsafe would it be to have some people traveling at 70 and some at 100?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret1)
    Got to be all or nothing. How unsafe would it be to have some people traveling at 70 and some at 100?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what people already do...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.