The Student Room Group

FP1 Complex numbers help

Bit stuck on a question where I've been given the roots of a cubic equation (2, 1+5i and 1-5i) and have to find coefficients of the x^2 and x values in the original equation... How do I go about doing that? =s
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Jakkson
Bit stuck on a question where I've been given the roots of a cubic equation (2, 1+5i and 1-5i) and have to find coefficients of the x^2 and x values in the original equation... How do I go about doing that? =s
Thanks in advance.

[x-2][x-(1+5i)][x-(1-5i)]
Reply 2
Original post by Jakkson
Thanks in advance.

You can multiply out explicitly as TeeEm suggests, or use general rules about sums and products of roots of an equation e.g. if (x - a)(x -b)(x- c) is your factorized cubic with zeros at a, b and c, then the coeff of x^2 in the expansion is -(a + b + c) etc.
Although it is the next chapter, using roots of polynomials is useful here. It makes less room for error compared with expanding bracket.

-b/a = alpha + beta + gamma = 2 + 1 + 5i + 1 - 5i => -b/a = 4. Therefore b=-4

c/a =alpha.beta + alpha.gamma + beta.gamma = 2(1+5i) + 2(1-5i) + (1+5i)(1-5i) = 2 + 10i + 2 + 10i + 26 =30. Therefore c=30

-d/a = alpha.beta.gamma = 2(1+5i)(1-5i) = 2*26 = 52. Therefore d=-52

So a must be 1. Therefore the equation (ax^3 + bx^2 + cx +d) is: x^3 - 4x^2 + 30x - 52

Quick Reply

Latest