Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oscar nominations released- do you agree? Watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    http://time.com/3668006/oscars-2015-nominations/

    Anything/anyone missing that you think should have been nominated?
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    http://time.com/3668006/oscars-2015-nominations/

    Personally I'm surprised Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't nominated for his performance in The Imitation Game...

    Anything/anyone else missing that you think should have been nominated?
    But Cumberbatch was nominated for his performance :s
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Not surprised about seeing the theory of everything being on there
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    80% of the list is just oscar bait, and the other 20% is amazing.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    http://time.com/3668006/oscars-2015-nominations/

    Personally I'm surprised Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't nominated for his performance in The Imitation Game...

    Anything/anyone else missing that you think should have been nominated?
    He was nominated
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    But Cumberbatch was nominated for his performance :s
    Wow. So he was. I thought my eyesight was bad enough already!
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    80% of the list is just oscar bait, and the other 20% is amazing.
    who is Oscar Bait? 80% is a real monopoly. he must have put in some work this year.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    He was nominated
    I know. I am hanging my head in shame
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    80% of the list is just oscar bait, and the other 20% is amazing.
    What's the 20% you think is amazing?
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    This should be nominated http://youtu.be/ULOL-Mb8stY


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Wow. So he was. I thought my eyesight was bad enough already!
    Who said that? *looks around*
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    I thought the nominations, overall, were fine. Having said that, there were several notable problems I had with them:

    (1) 'The Lego Movie' was excluded from Best Animated Feature for a reason no one except Academy voters understand - and perhaps even the voters themselves don't understand.

    (2) Miller being nominated for Best Director whilst 'Foxcatcher' was omitted from the Best Picture category. In terms of logic, it follows that any film nominated for Best Picture should also have its director nominated for Best Director (as the director is the primary the reason the film is as good as it is). Therefore it makes no sense for a director to be nominated when his film isn't ahead of other directors (including, but not limited to, Avu DuVernay (whose film 'Selma' was nominated for Best Picture)).

    (3) What's the point of the sliding scale in the Best Picture category? It seems rather bizarre that voters wouldn't want to fill all 10 slots when there were plenty of films worth of recognition (e.g. 'Interstellar', 'Gone Girl', 'Nightcrawler', 'Foxcatcher'). The Academy should just choose between either 5 or 10 nominees and stick with it.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    1) David Oyelowo, Ava DuVernay and The Lego Movie were snubbed
    2) I'm annoyed that Mr. Turner did not get more love
    3) Boyhood is overrated but will probably win best picture. Hoping it is Birdman or TGBH
    4) Eddie Redmayne FTW but will most likely be Michael Keaton
    5) This is probably the whitest Oscar nominations in a long time.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by og.east)
    who is Oscar Bait? 80% is a real monopoly. he must have put in some work this year.
    Haha.

    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    I know. I am hanging my head in shame
    sherlockfan must be over the moon.

    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    What's the 20% you think is amazing?
    I think the love for Hans Zimmer, Whiplash and some of the animated stuff is good, but the only snub I actually care about was Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler. Despicable that he wasn't nominated, and despicable The Babadook wasn't even 'eligible' apparently, even though the director and lead actor (both female might I add) deserved nominations at the very least. The rest of the list is incestuous back-patting and the usual list of Biopic, historical dramas, psychological movies and the like.

    (Original post by A1112787)
    I thought the nominations, overall, were fine. Having said that, there were several notable problems I had with them:

    (1) 'The Lego Movie' was excluded from Best Animated Feature for a reason no one except Academy voters understand - and perhaps even the voters themselves don't understand.

    (2) Miller being nominated for Best Director whilst 'Foxcatcher' was omitted from the Best Picture category. In terms of logic, it follows that any film nominated for Best Picture should also have its director nominated for Best Director (as the director is the primary the reason the film is as good as it is). Therefore it makes no sense for a director to be nominated when his film isn't ahead of other directors (including, but not limited to, Avu DuVernay (whose film 'Selma' was nominated for Best Picture)).

    (3) What's the point of the sliding scale in the Best Picture category? It seems rather bizarre that voters wouldn't want to fill all 10 slots when there were plenty of films worth of recognition (e.g. 'Interstellar', 'Gone Girl', 'Nightcrawler', 'Foxcatcher'). The Academy should just choose between either 5 or 10 nominees and stick with it.
    The LEGO movie was popular but slightly over-rated, similar to Frozen last year, and the only one I would consider replacing it with is The Boxtrolls. With the issue of Best Picture/Best Director, if the directing is fantastic but the acting is shaky, then the movie wouldn't be great. Similarly, if the acting was incredibly but the directing was shaky, it would be neither best picture or best director. From what I can tell of Foxcatcher, the directing and the acting was incredible, but the movie as a whole was quite boring, so wouldn't be best picture. Agree with the Best Picture though, don't understand why they left two empty slots when other movies deserved to be nominated.

    (Original post by drowzee)
    1) David Oyelowo, Ava DuVernay and The Lego Movie were snubbed
    2) I'm annoyed that Mr. Turner did not get more love
    3) Boyhood is overrated but will probably win best picture. Hoping it is Birdman or TGBH
    4) Eddie Redmayne FTW but will most likely be Michael Keaton
    5) This is probably the whitest Oscar nominations in a long time.
    1) Not getting into this for fear of being branded a racist.
    2) Agree, Mr Turner deserved more notice, although I care more about Nightcrawler
    3) Boyhood is overrated as a movie, but not as a project. It is one of a kind and will be used as an example for years.
    4) Yeah Eddie Redmayne was a pleasant surprise, but Michael Keaton's getting all the buzz.
    5) Oh well, correlation does not imply causation, unlike a particularly unpleasant Grauniad article I read today:

    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ollywood-women
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

    Ask the Community Team

    Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

    Welcome Lounge

    Welcome Lounge

    We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reply
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.