The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Is it true that applying to Oxbridge reduces your chances at LSE?

Hey, I've heard from many people that applying too early to LSE (i.e. before the October deadline to apply to Oxbrige) actually reduces the chances of the best candidates, as LSE thinks that they would rather firm Ox or Cam instead of them. Is it true?
I hope not! Although I have heard that LSE and Oxford look for different things in their candidates (e.g. LSE is very PS heavy), so I don't think it's true :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Although I didn't apply to Oxbridge, I applied before the deadline and just got an offer today from LSE - I'm sure it doesn't play a role in the decision.
Reply 3
Original post by tlunn223
Although I didn't apply to Oxbridge, I applied before the deadline and just got an offer today from LSE - I'm sure it doesn't play a role in the decision.

Can I ask you what you applied for and what grades you have?
Reply 4
Original post by nyawke
Can I ask you what you applied for and what grades you have?

BSc International Relations - I'm American so I have APs instead of A levels, but if it's any help they're 5555555554.
Reply 5
lol no, I applied to Cambridge and I got an offer from LSE, just graduated last July. Honestly do not believe everything you hear, people have no clue what they are talking about.
"I applied to Oxbridge and LSE and haven't got an offer from LSE, therefore LSE must discriminate against Oxbridge applicants" is somewhat tempting to believe, especially for me, but the logic doesn't really follow.
No, makes no difference. The university will give an offer to the candidates they would like to admit, regardless of the implications given by the earlier application. I applied to Oxford and LSE this year, and got an offer from LSE. To be honest, I didn't think I'd get into LSE with my poor GCSEs, so I would assume they did not discriminate against me (or any other candidate) or I would not have been accepted.
Original post by nyawke
Hey, I've heard from many people that applying too early to LSE (i.e. before the October deadline to apply to Oxbrige) actually reduces the chances of the best candidates, as LSE thinks that they would rather firm Ox or Cam instead of them. Is it true?

The LSE cannot see and does not know who else you apply to. I know people who applied in early September, not because they were applying to OxBrdige (they didn't) but because they wanted to get it sorted so they could just concentrate on their last year.
I was encouraged, by my college to apply to OxBridge but I did not want to go there.
Original post by nyawke

The universities can’t see where else you’ve applied. There’s no way of the admissions tutors knowing if you applied for two courses at the same Uni never mind two different unis.
Therefore this rumour is a piece of bull. Probably designed to influence where you apply. Don’t listen to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending