Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    \displaystyle\int^4_1 x^\frac{1}{2}\ dx

I had thought that was 2x^3/2; and from there I had 2(4)^3/2 then divided that 3; then subtract the value of 2(1)^3/2 then divided by 3.

I ended up with 3; exactly, when in reality, the answer specified is 4.6667 (4 and two thirds.

Where have I gone wrong
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)
    \displaystyle\int^4_1 x^\frac{1}{2}\ dx

I had thought that was 2x^3/2; and from there I had 2(4)^3/2 then divided that 3; then subtract the value of 2(1)^3/2 then divided by 3.

I ended up with 3; exactly, when in reality, the answer specified is 4.6667 (4 and two thirds.

Where have I gone wrong
    The integral of x^{1/2} is not 2 x^{3/2}. What do you get when you differentiate 2 x^{3/2} with respect to x?

ReputationRep:
    2 x^{3/2}.Was a value I had gotten from an online integral calculator :|

http://www.integral-calculator.com/#...und=4&lbound=1

I had thought that 1/2+1 would give me 3/2 so that the answer would x^3/2
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    2 x^{3/2}.Was a value I had gotten from an online integral calculator :|

http://www.integral-calculator.com/#...und=4&lbound=1

I had thought that 1/2+1 would give me 3/2 so that the answer would x^3/2
    Your power of x is right. It's the constant 2 I object to, and the integral calculator objects to

ReputationRep:
    Im not being pedantic, but it was the integral calculator that gave me the constant of 2!

Ok, I have been doing the calculations manually thus far; i.e. without the use of the integration function on my Casio scientific calculator, and so now I know how to properly use them, I am golden

However, I would still like to be able to compute these calculations manually, in case they should crop up in a non-calculator setting.

With that in mind, where did I go wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Im not being pedantic, but it was the integral calculator that gave me the constant of 2!

Ok, I have been doing the calculations manually thus far; i.e. without the use of the integration function on my Casio scientific calculator, and so now I know how to properly use them, I am golden

However, I would still like to be able to compute these calculations manually, in case they should crop up in a non-calculator setting.

With that in mind, where did I go wrong?
    \displaystyle \int x^n = \dfrac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}

Although your integral product is wrong, your working out is somehow correct, by dividing by 3. You had \dfrac{2(4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} - \dfrac{2(1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} which is 4\frac{2}{3} not 3. Arithmetic error.

\dfrac{2(4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} - \dfrac{2(1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} = \dfrac{16}{3} - \dfrac{2}{3} = \dfrac{14}{3} \equiv 4\frac{2}{3}

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yes. I got x^2/3 over 2/3.

I then performed the calculation on that assumption; and given that the upper limit was four, I assumed then that meant 4^2/3 divided by 2/3

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I got x^2/3 over 2/3.

I then performed the calculation on that assumption; and given that the upper limit was four, I assumed then that meant 4^2/3 divided by 2/3
    Read my last post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did.

What am I missing?

let us say x^3. Using your notation, that would be x(3+1) over (3+1) so x^4 /4, yes?

ReputationRep:
    I did.

What am I missing?

let us say x^3. Using your notation, that would be x(3+1) over (3+1) so x^4 /4, yes?
    Read it again.

In your OP you said you got 2x^{\frac{3}{2}} for the integral, which isn't what you said in your last post. It seems you just divided by 3 later on, which gives you the correct value, but you seem to have made an arithmetic mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you just please be more direct and tell me where I am going wrong?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    No. It gave you the constant \dfrac{2}{3}.

ReputationRep:
    Can you just please be more direct and tell me where I am going wrong?
    I was on my phone, which I'm an ape at using. In your OP, to reiterate, you said, \displaystyle \int x^{\frac{1}{2}}\, dx was 2x^{\frac{3}{2}}, which was incorrect. However, when evaluating the definite integral, you divided by 3, which is correct. However, again, you made an arithmetic mistake. \dfrac{2(4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} - \dfrac{2(1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} = \dfrac{16}{3} - \dfrac{2}{3} = \dfrac{14}{3} \equiv 4\frac{2}{3}

\dfrac{2(4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} - \dfrac{2(1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} \neq 3

I did write this out in my earlier post however.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is the bit that is throwing me off.

\dfrac{2(4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3}

How do you get that equal to 16 /3 ?

8 x 3/2= 12 when I do it :/

Ah, right, so the order is 2 times the () value; then the index is inverted. But why has the index been inverted here? Why is it 8 x 2/3 instead of 8 x 3/2?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is the bit that is throwing me off.

\dfrac{2(4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3}

How do you get that equal to 16 /3 ?
    When you have something like, a^{\frac{n}{m}}, the way to calculate it is via firstly, taking the mth root of a, then putting that result to the power of n. However, this can be done in any order, up to you, this is the way I'd do it.

a^{\frac{n}{m}} = (\sqrt[m]{a})^n

In your example, a would be 4, n would be 3, and m would be 2. Hence, you square root 4, then cube it.

4^{\frac{3}{2}} = 2^3 \equiv 8

\dfrac{2(4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} = \dfrac{2(8)}{3} \equiv \dfrac{16}{3}

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for being so patient with me. I must admit integration is an area I flounder with, horribly.

Sorry for being so dense.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for being so patient with me. I must admit integration is an area I flounder with, horribly.

Sorry for being so dense.
    Don't be silly, it's my pleasure. Practice makes perfect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.