Austerity Watch

Edward Pilth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have written this:

In May 2010, HM Treasury announced DEFRA will face £162m cuts, and the DECC will face £85m cuts. As austerity is tightening the government’s fiscal yearly budget, the UK’s energy sector has been going from nationalisation to privatisation to avoid ‘political red tape and bureaucracy’.

Does this make sense? Does austerity mean government privatise the energy sector to save/create money?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Edward Pilth)
I have written this:

In May 2010, HM Treasury announced DEFRA will face £162m cuts, and the DECC will face £85m cuts. As austerity is tightening the government’s fiscal yearly budget, the UK’s energy sector has been going from nationalisation to privatisation to avoid ‘political red tape and bureaucracy’.

Does this make sense? Does austerity mean government privatise the energy sector to save/create money?
Whats DEFRA got to do with energy?

I'd say the cuts to DECC acted as a tax increase on energy companies.
Edward Pilth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Whats DEFRA got to do with energy?

I'd say the cuts to DECC acted as a tax increase on energy companies.
Never mind DEFRA. It's a preceding argument.

Is my logic here correct? I'm trying to make sense of a newspaper article I'm reading. Seems like you need a degree in economics to understand it!

So at the top you have austerity which reduces the DECC budget. So in response to this, the government privatise the energy industry, which I assume will give them more money as energy corporations buy from them - This means the energy sector is controlled by capitalist oligarchies, who sacrifice public interests in favour of profits. The coalition (which is divided - The Lib Dems want green energy, the conservative capitalists want Nuclear). Why do taxpayers need to subsidise these private companies?

Where do local government renewable energy strategies fit into this? Are they private or public, maybe both?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This may help you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GSd_Ld6X6O8
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads