Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right. So I understand the concept of unconditional offers. But are they truly unconditional?

I'm not talking about the instances in which a student already has the required grades, but those in which a university which normally gives out a standard offer whimsically hands out an 'unconditional offer'. Hmm. I have become rather dubious.

Does it mean that if a student, taking the customary 3 or 4 A-Levels, fails all three and gets UUU, he or she is allowed to attend the university in question? I don't see how this is feasible, yet it seems to be what people are telling me. I look forward to your replies.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware if you get an unconditional then they have to accept you, unless you lied on your application anywhere purposefully then I'm pretty, yes, they would have to let you in even if you got all Us. Even though I'd imagine your chance of succeeding in the degree is highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe in that circumstance, probably they wouldn't get in (all Us) if they were off by a few grades collectively then they would still get in but I highly doubt it if they completely failed, or they might be asked to go through a foundation year or whatever. Anyways, unconditional offers are mainly given to students who already have their results (their A2 results), like they're applying in their gap year or whatever, so in this case the uni already knows what the student has achieved and gives them the unconditional (if they met the requirements). However, there are a few that are lucky enough to get one if they still need to sit exams, but obviously if they did atrociously they wouldn't really get a place (depending on the competitiveness of the course and the uni). Note though, I say maybe, I'm not entirely positive.

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional offers are UNCONDITIONAL. There are no conditions (other than perhaps putting as firm choice). They are only offered to students with good academic record. Often the University will combine these offers with merit based bursaries to encourage students to keep working hard to obtain good grades. They are unlikely to completely fail their A levels anyway as will already have points from AS exams.

ReputationRep:
    As others have pointed out they are unconditional, as this page from Birmingham (who have pioneered this trend) makes clear:

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...heme-2015.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys You're the best.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend giving up on your A Levels if you have an unconditional though as you'll need that knowledge (as well as the continued motivation to work) in your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Advice in the middle of this TSR about the dangers of accepting an Unconditional offer when you are still to take A levels :
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

PS. If it wasnt an Unconditional offer would you still want to go to that Uni? If the answer is No, then DONT make it your Firm!

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are, so that means that they have already accepted you regardless of whatever you get in A2. If you have done your AS only then they must be really good something like AAAA to get an unconditional and the unis that tend to give unconditional in this situation are usually not high ranked ones so you wouldn't want to go there anyway. Its unlikely you would get UUU if you have like AAA for AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    As others have pointed out they are unconditional, as this page from Birmingham (who have pioneered this trend) makes clear:

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...heme-2015.aspx

Its a marketing bribe to make you go Firm. Nothing more.

The idea that its only 'the brightest' is nonsense' - for many of the Unis involved in this practice, if you are upright and breathing you'll get an Unconditional offer. It isnt YOU they want - they just want to fill courses with bodies and make certain they cant duck out into Adjustment come Results Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    Its a marketing bribe to make you go Firm. Nothing more.

The idea that its only 'the brightest' is nonsense' - for many of the Unis involved in this practice, if you are upright and breathing you'll get an Unconditional offer. It isnt YOU they want - they just want to fill courses with bodies and make certain they cant duck out into Adjustment come Results Day.
    I wasn't aware that I said anything to that effect.

ReputationRep:
    As already stated, unconditional offers are only given to people with decent AS results and the UMS accumulated there will get you more than UUU at A2. Assuming 300 UMS at AS and 300 UMS at A2, and 240 minimum achieved at AS, even not sitting A2s would result in an E grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatau24)
    Its impossible.
    If you got AAA in your top 3 AS, but were taking 6 AS and got BBB or lower in your bottom 3, then took forward your bottom 3 to A2, it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    I wasn't aware that I said anything to that effect.

You didnt ASN. I just wanted to emphasise 'following advice above'. Sorry for wrong impression!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.