Unconditional offers from universities: what to do if you get one

You can read the full article here.

Have you had an unconditional offer?
What would you do if you received one?

Any other thoughts? :cookie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Though I've not received any, I think I would have tried my best to be unswayed by it in any way. Surely the choices you make are for a reason, and I think it's worth being a little bit ambitious to go somewhere you really want to.
My response would be to put them as my insurance choice so that I'd definitely be going to university either way.
Original post by Roving Fish
My response would be to put them as my insurance choice so that I'd definitely be going to university either way.

Some of these offers are on the condition that you make the university your firm choice - if you use them for insurance the offer will go back to being conditional. :smile: That's where the difficulty/confusion comes in. :h:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Some of these offers are on the condition that you make the university your firm choice - if you use them for insurance the offer will go back to being conditional. :smile: That's where the difficulty/confusion comes in. :h:

Ooh!

That's difficult, poor applicants - would hate to be in the situation of that!! In that case, I'd go to the uni and check out the place and chat to the course leader before finalising my decision.

I've not been in that situation before - I've always had conditions that were easy to meet. (BTEC/Cert HE)
Thanks! I'm still a little unsure, and I still need to wait for a few offers, but this gives some good food for thought.
I have an unconditional offer to study Geography at the University of East Anglia, has anyone had an unconditional from Durham/do Durham give unconditionals?
Original post by _beckyhood17
I have an unconditional offer to study Geography at the University of East Anglia, has anyone had an unconditional from Durham/do Durham give unconditionals?

Are you an A level student or do you already have your grades and are on a gap year?

If you're still doing your A levels then there is almost no chance of you getting an unconditional from somewhere like Durham. While they do give them out they'll only ever be given to students who are absolutely exceptional, the kind of people who Durham want to make damn sure they don't miss out on. For example the guy that lived next door to me got an unconditional from there because his predicted grades only just met the average offer for the course, and given his GCSE and AS grades it was pretty obvious that there was a good chance he would fall short of his predicted grades, but because he was at the time he was a member of the England Under 19 Rugby side Durham made him an unconditional because having people like that at their University is something they want.

If however you're on a gap year then unless you're doing any further study (for example open university modules) then the only option that Universities have is to make you an unconditional offer if they don't reject you, and in that case then yes you would get an unconditional if they want you.
Advice in the middle of this TSR article on the downsides of Firming Unconditional offers.
Read it carefully and take heed of the warnings!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices
i got an unconditional from leicester but my first choices are either lse or lancaster
I had five unconditional offers. What did I do?

I chose the university that:

a) I would feel most happy at in terms of location and nightlife
b) Had the course that I wanted to do the most
c) Had good extra-curricular clubs to join
d) Had very strong links to industry

In the end it was a close call but cost come into it and I chose the university with a cheaper cost of living which in the end worked out best for me as I could go out more and unwind rather than letting stress get to me.
Original post by Das Auto
I had five unconditional offers. What did I do?

I chose the university that:

a) I would feel most happy at in terms of location and nightlife
b) Had the course that I wanted to do the most
c) Had good extra-curricular clubs to join
d) Had very strong links to industry

In the end it was a close call but cost come into it and I chose the university with a cheaper cost of living which in the end worked out best for me as I could go out more and unwind rather than letting stress get to me.

Well done on getting all 5!
I have been really lucky and received 3 unconditionals for marine biology- at Glasgow, Stirling and Aberdeen. However I am holding out for St Andrews!
Btw I am in Scottish 6th year so I have done my highers and have met all the entrance requirements for my choices so that is probably why!
Scottish Unis have been giving Scottish applicants doing Scottish Highers Unconditional offers for many years.
Since the Scottish first year is essentially a repeat of A level (hence 4 year courses) this is rarely an issue.

In the rest of the UK however, Unconditional offers to A level or IB applicants IS new, and there are serious dangers of accepting these offers.
Read the article mentioned in my post above carefully.
Original post by scriberg
i got an unconditional from leicester but my first choices are either lse or lancaster

Read the relevant section in this article : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices and dont be swayed by the idea of an Unconditional offer. If your top choices are LSE/Lancaster go with them.
Well Birmingham is my top choice anyway and apparently they have been giving out unconditionals left right and centre this year so if i get one it will be firmed
Original post by neal95
Well Birmingham is my top choice anyway and apparently they have been giving out unconditionals left right and centre this year so if i get one it will be firmed

Yep, Birmingham has an unconditional offer scheme.

If they're your first choice and you get an unconditional offer from them, then that's brilliant and you should be really pleased! :woo: Although don't use that as an excuse to slack off your A-Levels. :wink:

The issue is if people get an unconditional from a university which isn't their first choice - it throws people off and they end up making a decision which they regret later on. :smile: So the message is don't rush into anything :h:
Reply 17
My daughter has an unconditional but no strings attached to it....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bluebells60
My daughter has an unconditional but no strings attached to it....

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great news, well done :woo: Where was it from? Is it her first choice uni?
Reply 19
Yes first choice....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply