Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm having a bit of a mental block on the last part [part (f)] of the attached question. It asks to make use of the kinetic and potential [lennard-jones?] energies but I'm not sure how to go about that. Any hints on how to proceed?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MFAHH)
    Hey, I'm having a bit of a mental block on the last part [part (f)] of the attached question. It asks to make use of the kinetic and potential [lennard-jones?] energies but I'm not sure how to go about that. Any hints on how to proceed?
    Did you get this sorted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    Did you get this sorted?
    I've not, although I have a sneaking suspicion it's relatively straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    what did you get for part e?
    If I recall correctly the critical temperature of the gas is defined as the temperature when the derivatives in part (e) are both equal to zero.
    You should then have a pair of simultaneous equations which you can solve for T, but I'm afraid I don't see how to involve the kinetic energy, it's been a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james153)
    what did you get for part e?
    If I recall correctly the critical temperature of the gas is defined as the temperature when the derivatives in part (e) are both equal to zero.
    You should then have a pair of simultaneous equations which you can solve for T, but I'm afraid I don't see how to involve the kinetic energy, it's been a while.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's how to factor in the kinetic energy that I'm not sure about. And even the potential. For (e) I just differentiated, and double differentiated, pv=nrt, but when I set them to zero and simultaneously solve them for T, I just end up with T=0 which is no help.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.