Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Green Party has more members than UKIP. watch

ReputationRep:
    Green Party now has more members than UKIP.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...ip--eyzQAvJyig

Predicted they will overtake the lib dems before general election.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9977866.html

ReputationRep:
    Hells yeah. I tried to join but their website was down for maintenance....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Hells yeah. I tried to join but their website was down for maintenance....
    I joined a while ago. If anything just to add another number and to give them a bit of money. Apparently membership spiked after OFCOM made that ruling.

Being a member of a party does make me feel a bit dirty though. I don't like everything about them and I don't want to feel compromised in my ability to critise them.

Just to be pessimistic this probably wont translate to Green getting more votes than UKIP. I suspect Green voters or the sort who like their polices are probably more engaged in politics in a way that they would join a party. I suspect a lot of UKIP voters don't really look at the details other than they want out of EU, don't like immigration and like the Farage brand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Green Party now has more members than UKIP.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...ip--eyzQAvJyig

Predicted they will overtake the lib dems before general election.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9977866.html
    Let's hope they don't become too powerful and screw over the economy like they've done in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Let's hope they don't become too powerful and screw over the economy like they've done in Germany.

It was the neoliberals that caused the biggest mess since like the great depression... Can't do much worse.

How exactly do you define "screw over the economy". It's laughable. Sure laugh at the Greens. But don't then point at the mainstream lot as being a beacon of sane economic competence. :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This only adds weight to the belief that the Greens should be allowed to take part in the televised debates if UKIP are. UKIP might be the zeitgeist of the moment, but you can't argue with the numbers. If the Greens are statistically a bigger party, it doesn't make sense to exclude them from televised debates whilst including an albeit marginally smaller party like UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly do you define "screw over the economy".
    the 'like they've done in Germany' bit might have tipped you off to the point being made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    the 'like they've done in Germany' bit might have tipped you off to the point being made.
    I was pointing out the hypocrisy of calling the UK Greens economically incompetent and then maintaining the right with their neoliberalism as being economically competent(which MS does) when it was their policies that caused the worse economics crisis since the great depression. I never said he was wrong about the German Greens (I know little about them).

It takes some incredible warped thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    This only adds weight to the belief that the Greens should be allowed to take part in the televised debates if UKIP are. UKIP might be the zeitgeist of the moment, but you can't argue with the numbers. If the Greens are statistically a bigger party, it doesn't make sense to exclude them from televised debates whilst including an albeit marginally smaller party like UKIP.
    UKIP is a UK wide party. The Green Party aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I was pointing out the hypocrisy of calling the UK Greens economically incompetent and then maintaining the right with their neoliberalism as being economically competent(which MS does) when it was their policies that caused the worse economics crisis since the great depression. I never said he was wrong about the German Greens (I know little about them).

It takes some incredible warped thinking.
    There's no such thing as the UK Green Party. That dissolved in 1990.

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as the UK Green Party. That dissolved in 1990.
    I meant the English Green party then. The one with Caroline Lucas in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Precisely.

It means absolutely nothing. Most voters who actually vote in elections aren't registered members of any party. Membership only implies how many people are willing to actually give them money. It doesn't make the Greens a valid addition to the debate because we already know UKIP are going to crush them in total votes.

ReputationRep:
    I meant the English Green party then. The one with Caroline Lucas in it.
    Do you mean the regional political party with one MP?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean the regional political party with one MP?
    This one

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    This one

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/
    It's a regional political party that doesn't represent all of the UK.

It also only has one MP.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Let's hope they become powerful and do precisely what they've done in Germany, and more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    It means absolutely nothing. Most voters who actually vote in elections aren't registered members of any party. Membership only implies how many people are willing to actually give them money. It doesn't make the Greens a valid addition to the debate because we already know UKIP are going to crush them in total votes.
    That is made easier when the media plasters you all over the place.

Your point about registered voters I kind of already made. You can look at that in two ways though. Most voters don't join the party they vote for, true. Green voters are less in number but more likely to join the party they vote for for whatever reason. Or Green voters are so high in number that the small percentage of voters that will join the party has increased that over the small percentage of UKIP voters who join the party.

Democracy functions better when you have alternatives. It forces leaders to justify their views and policies. Suppressing an alternative is bad for democracy. I don't like UKIP. But I agree they should be able to have a say. UKIP are also insignificant in similar way Green are. They either both get on or neither do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Let's hope they become powerful and do precisely what they've done in Germany, and more.
    You mean where increased energy prices have damaged economic growth?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...or-Europe.html

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...owth-forecasts

http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...st-explains-10

ReputationRep:
    It's a regional political party that doesn't represent all of the UK.

It also only has one MP.
    I lazily refereed to it as the UK to distinguish it from the German one. Our one is standing for election for the UK government though. Which is what I meant.

I was wrong. I note you complexity ignored my other point about neoliberal economic incompetence.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.