ReputationRep:
    Any thing I need to know

ReputationRep:
    Prepare to cry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Do you mean by sixth forms in comparison to colleges or sixth forms as in how difficult are A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Get ready for two ****ty years of hell

Don't bank on retakes, get it right the first time. It'll be almost impossible to improve your grade along with studying for A2 exams so don't **** up AS

ReputationRep:
    Sixth form is tough, I'm not gonna lie. Also, be prepared to work. Really really hard. Social lives revolve around your school work, and most of the debates/arguments are subject based.

Totally different experience to Y8-Y11.

Saying all the above may be off putting. I'll add that it's hella fun, though.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Most of it was the best two years of my life. Would go through it all again.

Having said that though, I have a feeling that your A-level exams'll be harder than ever before. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Best 1.5 years of my life so far.

ReputationRep:
    Jump from GCSE to AS is huge, AS to A level not as big. It's tougher now that there isn't Jan exams, make sure you start studying from the beginning and stay ahead of the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Take Subjects you enjoy, ensuring it will be well taught and will get you on the course you want to do at University. Ignore that it is such a big step up. It's a change to GCSE. It's only as hard as you make it. If you do the work and read around your subjects it's not hard. You just have to put the work in to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    Been enjoying it much more than GCSEs. It's hard work, but having 50% of my lessons as just maths (maths, further maths) is heavenly. You will need to work MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than at GCSE to get the same grades and even then you might not quite make it. Work hard from the start so you don't have a horrible last few months/bad grades.

ReputationRep:
    -Take subjects you like. You'll have them every day for two years and you need to be motivated to learn.
    -If your free periods are free, you aren't using them right. Revise, do homework but don't waste them. You'll regret it.
    -If your school, like mine, has a silent study area please BE QUIET. Or else, don't expect others to be silent when you're working.
    -Start revising from the start of the year. That way you'll be more confident for your exams.
    -Getting good GCSE's doesn't mean you will automatically get good A-levels. You need to work hard regardless. Many people thrive at Alevel who bombed at GCSE so don't think 13 A* guarantees you an easy ride.

HAVE FUN TOO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livvydibby)
    -Take subjects you like. You'll have them every day for two years and you need to be motivated to learn.
    -If your free periods are free, you aren't using them right. Revise, do homework but don't waste them. You'll regret it.
    -If your school, like mine, has a silent study area please BE QUIET. Or else, don't expect others to be silent when you're working.
    -Start revising from the start of the year. That way you'll be more confident for your exams.
    -Getting good GCSE's doesn't mean you will automatically get good A-levels. You need to work hard regardless. Many people thrive at Alevel who bombed at GCSE so don't think 13 A* guarantees you an easy ride.

HAVE FUN TOO!
    I don't think I could have said that better. Where I go to school, if you call it a "free period", you get an instant *******ing.

RIP to whoever utters that word at my school.

Also, I feel like I'm performing much better at A-Levels, than at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesleigh)
    I don't think I could have said that better. Where I go to school, if you call it a "free period", you get an instant *******ing.

RIP to whoever utters that word at my school.

Also, I feel like I'm performing much better at A-Levels, than at GCSE.
    I'm definately doing better at ALEVEL than GCSE. I got mostly Bs at GCSE but at AS I got AABBC and predicted A*AB. GCSE is like a wake up call that you need to get your sh*t together if you want to get into a good uni. So many people at my school that got, for example, 12 A*s have got like BBCC at AS so...I think they relaxed thinking they'd do well while I worked hard the whole year for my results! Never get comfortable! If you're comfortable, you're probably failing or averaging rather than passing comfortably.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.