Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently studying my GCSEs and am in year 11. I take history, geography and French. Currently I would like to be an English teacher at secondary age, but am also considering screen writing for films. I need some help choosing my A level choices as I am not too sure which ones will be best suited for me if I decide I don't want to teach English or want to do another job etc. we have to choose 4 but include our fifth and sixth too. I have chosen English literature, history, French and sociology. But I am stuck because I am not too sure about literature considering at gcse level, I am a lot better and writing than reading etc. however, I am stuck with if I want to take language too and if I would drop French. What I'm trying to say is, if I drop French and take two english and I possibly decide I don't want to teach, are these a good range of choices? I'm not too sure if English language A level is what I'm looking for eg if it is revolved around writing etc or if I should stick with French. All my target grades for the listed subjects is an A but I don't feel as confident with French!
    it would be great if someone could read through this ramble and help me please! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hi there. i just joined up and saw your post. i also have recently chosen my options for sixth form and not sure but i decided to go with what i have chosen. English at A-levels is really boring and i hope your really interested in english and enjoy it because there will be a lot of writing and such. English literature is very good in terms of poetry and all that stuff so you might enjoy it. Also go for french because if your gonna be a teacher you might earn slightly more or go abroad to teach and its basically an advantage in life and when trying to get into a uni. History is also good and also very boring at A levels. im not sure about sociology, i would go for government and politics. Hope this helped. ( sorry i havent detailed it much im actually revising)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaminggeek)
    hi there. i just joined up and saw your post. i also have recently chosen my options for sixth form and not sure but i decided to go with what i have chosen. English at A-levels is really boring and i hope your really interested in english and enjoy it because there will be a lot of writing and such. English literature is very good in terms of poetry and all that stuff so you might enjoy it. Also go for french because if your gonna be a teacher you might earn slightly more or go abroad to teach and its basically an advantage in life and when trying to get into a uni. History is also good and also very boring at A levels. im not sure about sociology, i would go for government and politics. Hope this helped. ( sorry i havent detailed it much im actually revising)

Thats okay thanks that's awaesome advice!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.