The Student Room Group

British Muslims: 'You are lazy if you say extremism is not Islamic'

"The Prime Minister's official spokesman confirmed Mr Cameron agreed with Culture Secretary Sajid Javid who yesterday said it was "absolutely fair to say that there is a special burden on Muslim communities because, whether we like it or not, these terrorists call themselves Muslims".

"Speaking on Radio 5 Live, Mr Javid added that it was "lazy" and "wrong" to say that France's terror attacks had nothing to do with Muslims."

I tend to agree with Mr Javid. It is concerning that not all muslims are condemning extremism, despite it being in their best interest to distance themselves from it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/paris-terror-attacks-muslims-have-a-special-burden-to-track-down-islamist-extremists-says-david-cameron-9972878.html
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallDuck
"The Prime Minister's official spokesman confirmed Mr Cameron agreed with Culture Secretary Sajid Javid who yesterday said it was "absolutely fair to say that there is a special burden on Muslim communities because, whether we like it or not, these terrorists call themselves Muslims".

"Speaking on Radio 5 Live, Mr Javid added that it was "lazy" and "wrong" to say that France's terror attacks had nothing to do with Muslims."

This kind of extremism comes from Muslim communities, and Muslim communities need to act to try and stem this kind of extremism. That doesn't mean all Muslims are responsible, but their leaders are.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
as far as I'm aware most religions have extremism, its unfair that the rest of the faith get blamed for the extremists stupid behaviour
Original post by emski
as far as I'm aware most religions have extremism, its unfair that the rest of the faith get blamed for the extremists stupid behaviour

Agreed.

The problem is that we haven't seen Christian, Hindu, Seikh, Buddhist or any other religious nutters operating in the UK, Europe or North America
Reply 4
Original post by MatureStudent36
Agreed.

The problem is that we haven't seen Christian, Hindu, Seikh, Buddhist or any other religious nutters operating in the UK, Europe or North America

And because the wealthy places don't get affected people don't realise they don't exist. It was like the Ebola thing no one cared when africans died then the minute they think rich people will get it they start caring
Original post by emski
And because the wealthy places don't get affected people don't realise they don't exist. It was like the Ebola thing no one cared when africans died then the minute they think rich people will get it they start caring

I didn't care about Ebola because it didn't impact on me, or anybody else I know in the slightest. That doesn't make me, or anybody else bad. It's human nature only to care about you're immediate environment.
Reply 6
Original post by MatureStudent36
I didn't care about Ebola because it didn't impact on me, or anybody else I know in the slightest. That doesn't make me, or anybody else bad. It's human nature only to care about you're immediate environment.

You don't even think thats sad?
Original post by emski

Who's blaming ordinary Muslims? Blaming someone isn't the same as saying that their intervention would be valuable, which is what we are (or should be) saying.

Also, extremism in other faiths patently isn't as prominent as Islamic extremism. You've identified that people seem to care about it more because it hits 'rich people' or whatever, but that isn't the issue. What is the issue, is that if religious extremists massacre people in Africa, it is extremely difficult to know how to deal with it, because it is already so fraught with other problems. Conversely, we know something seriously out of the ordinary is happening if there are deaths here.

This doesn't mean we care less about Africans or extremism from other groups, it just means that its something we're less able to deal with, or that the steps with which to deal with it are less obvious.
I can't condemn without knowing the full truth, how do we not know these terrorist are not brainwashed by our own government to force new laws, and get more reason to snoop on the whole country.

We have been deceived, thinking we have free will when actually we have no freedom.

Perhaps I've been watching too much TV & listening to conspiracy theories.

End of the day terrorism is wrong.
Original post by emski
You don't even think thats sad?

Not really. It's current affairs. Interesting to some. Not relevant to most.

What's your opinion on japanese Governments budget cut to Okinawa?
Reply 10
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Who's blaming ordinary Muslims? Blaming someone isn't the same as saying that their intervention would be valuable, which is what we are (or should be) saying.

Also, extremism in other faiths patently isn't as prominent as Islamic extremism. You've identified that people seem to care about it more because it hits 'rich people' or whatever, but that isn't the issue. What is the issue, is that if religious extremists massacre people in Africa, it is extremely difficult to know how to deal with it, because it is already so fraught with other problems. Conversely, we know something seriously out of the ordinary is happening if there are deaths here.

This doesn't mean we care less about Africans or extremism from other groups, it just means that its something we're less able to deal with, or that the steps with which to deal with it are less obvious.

Quite a lot of people are actually blaming the whole faith for a few people's views. Would the reaction still be the same if we had extremists christians? The isssue I have is why do people have issues with other faiths, I'm an atheist, my mum is a christian and I have several mates who are muslims and jews so why can't everyone just accept each other for what they believe in, nobody knows which religion is the correct one because otherwise we would all believe it. It's a shame there are other more important issues that should be dealt with but all of the focus is going on the wrong things.
Who do you think is out there on the ground fighting these extremists and having the heaviest losses? Muslims.

The truth is however that the Western nations (America's little whores including the UK) are allowing these rebel groups to come into existence by toppling stable governments and supporting these crazy rebel groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The title is flawed, extremism isn't always Islamic.
Reply 13
Original post by emski

Non-violent muslims being complicit is part of the problem.
Reply 14
Non-violent muslims being complicit is part of the problem.

what do you mean complicit?
Reply 15
Original post by emski
what do you mean complicit?

What I mean is not standing up and saying that these attacks are wrong. We hear a lot about about how islam wants itself to take over the world and how jihad is mentioned in holy texts, so non muslims often assume that moderate muslims secretly support islamification and jihad.

They need to make it clear that they don't.

Otherwise, many will assume that they do. As I said, it should be in muslim's best interests to denounce terrorism if they are to better assimilate into western society.
I've seen more Muslims claiming it was an inside job by Zionists. In fact, tons of Muslims are claiming this all over youtube & twitter.

Muslims should be offended, though. I disagree with magazines likes Hebdo. I dislike this type of mockery and humiliation.
Reply 17
What I mean is not standing up and saying that these attacks are wrong. We hear a lot about about how islam wants itself to take over the world and how jihad is mentioned in holy texts, so non muslims often assume that moderate muslims secretly support islamification and jihad.

They need to make it clear that they don't.

Otherwise, many will assume that they do. As I said, it should be in muslim's best interests to denounce terrorism if they are to better assimilate into western society.

you can't be serious? Why should they have to admit they are wrong? Thats like me going on tv and saying murderers who are female are wrong. The Bible can be interpreted in many different ways for example homophobic behaviour, contraception and abortion. Everyone uses the text for various ways of explaining it.

I tend to agree with Mr Javid. It is concerning that not all muslims are condemning extremism, despite it being in their best interest to distance themselves from it.

Is it the case that many muslims secretly sympathise with the terrorists?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/paris-terror-attacks-muslims-have-a-special-burden-to-track-down-islamist-extremists-says-david-cameron-9972878.html

Well I hope Mr Javid starts with himself and shows the rest of ''lazy muslims'' how things are done other than smearing an entire community.
Reply 19
Well, anybody who tolerates me and my way of life shall be tolerated in return. I seek only to defend my way of life, not attack others'.

Exactly, I believe a diverse culture is way better eg the food, asian food is amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending