Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I will be studying Hamlet and Macbeth on my Access course (A Level standard; Level 3 course) and I am wondering if there are books with the play inside with notes of meaning etc etc.

Any suggestions appreciated

ReputationRep:
    If by 'books with notes of meaning inside' you mean books that have the definition or explanation of words and phrases printed next to the text, then most definitely. You can definitely get the Oxford and Cambridge versions of the plays, which should contain word meanings. If you're unsure, jump on Amazon as they usually have a 'look inside' feature for their books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Embla)
    If by 'books with notes of meaning inside' you mean books that have the definition or explanation of words and phrases printed next to the text, then most definitely. You can definitely get the Oxford and Cambridge versions of the plays, which should contain word meanings. If you're unsure, jump on Amazon as they usually have a 'look inside' feature for their books
    Thanks for heads-up
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by figuresk8rstudent)
    Hello.

I will be studying Hamlet and Macbeth on my Access course (A Level standard; Level 3 course) and I am wondering if there are books with the play inside with notes of meaning etc etc.

Any suggestions appreciated
    Oxford plays are really good. They have nice thick paper where you can write in and highlight and it won't bleed into the next page.

However, I do like The Arden Shakespeare. However, those are only used for uni essays as they are very academic. They are also very expensive too.

So either one of those prints are good. I have an Arden Hamlet with me at uni now for my next module and I've had a flick through and it looks very well developed and not just sustained but goes into real depth. I also used the Oxford one for Measure for Measure and that was good, but I would personally use the Arden ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Oxford plays are really good. They have nice thick paper where you can write in and highlight and it won't bleed into the next page.

However, I do like The Arden Shakespeare. However, those are only used for uni essays as they are very academic. They are also very expensive too.

So either one of those prints are good. I have an Arden Hamlet with me at uni now for my next module and I've had a flick through and it looks very well developed and not just sustained but goes into real depth. I also used the Oxford one for Measure for Measure and that was good, but I would personally use the Arden ones!
    Hey!

Thanks for the tips.

Looked at both and think Oxford is the way to go for me

ReputationRep:
    Most plays with have notes, but sometimes they're not very extensive. I use the penguin editions, but they have endnotes so they're not actually very efficient.
    I've found the best copies notes-wise are the New Mermaids editions, but as someone else said, check amazon 'look inside' or go to a Waterstones and have a browse, they should have a couple of different ones

ReputationRep:
    The Arden Shakespeare versions are the best imo. Good introductions with relevant contextual info and very precise footnotes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.