Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm halfway through my second year of university in London studying Film and TV Production, and at the moment all I want to do is drop out.

The course is really disappointing and not at all what I thought it would be. I knew before applying what they say about film degrees, how 'they're not worth the paper they're printed on', and that you don't even need one to get into the industry. Because it's really hard to get into the film industry, and how potential jobs only care about your show-reel and what experience you have in the industry beforehand, rather than the fact you spent 3 years in university doing it.

I came to uni hoping to enjoy the coursework, make some good material, be with like-minded people and friends, and gain contacts, work experience, independence and , knowledge to give me a chance. Now, in my second year, none of that is happening. I know most people on my course, but there are veerrryy few people who I like to work with on the courseworks, so I'm stuck in a group of people who I hate working with right now, the same group as last term, despite my best efforts to find other people. Last term was awful, and now it looks like this term will be the same. So as well as the course in general being crap, I'm having huge difficulties finding any kind of work experience. I also want to be able to make lots of films on the side too, but that's not happening either.

Basically we're getting ripped off by the university. And the whole university experience in general, I'm really not enjoying. I'm sharing a flat now with friends from first year, which I thought would be great, but as they say, you don't really know someone until you live with them. And the flat is horrible. I also have next to no social life, have tremendous meeting new people and potential girlfriends, and miss home terribly.

I'm worried if I did drop out though what would be the alternative. I want to get into film industry badly, and dropping out would leave where I was before coming to uni, i.e. no steps closer. In terms of finance too, do I get out now while I can, or pay another bloody year's worth of fees to a uni and a course that doesn't give us our money's worth?

Short version: University is crap, doing a film degree, want to drop out, dunno if I should.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi there,

I think that seeing as you're halfway through it, you should carry on until the end.

At the end of the day, a degree shows that you can work to a certain standard and will be useful. You could see if you can do your last year at another university? That might be possible but I'd definitely explore that before dropping out. Think of the £18,000 you've already paid on fees without the maintenance loan?!

Have a chat with your student support team at the uni and maybe even your course leader. Do you have course reps? They might be able to feed back your situation and thoughts on the course - the only way that the course can be improved is via feedback.

Maybe it might be a good time to start working on your portfolio and making some really cool stuff?

Let me know how you get on!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Can I ask what university this is because I'm looking to do the same course in a few universities in London but from what you've said I'm not so sure.
    I don't know much about how to solve your problem but you should look on the BBC, channel 4 and itv etc websites for apprenticeships this would at least get you into the industry and at the end you could put that on your cv etc. I know BBC have a talent pool which offers jobs throughout the year. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

ReputationRep:
    What uni are you at ? I'm looking to study film production (would've preferred TV and film production though) in London possibly ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nolanite)
    I'm halfway through my second year of university in London studying Film and TV Production, and at the moment all I want to do is drop out.

The course is really disappointing and not at all what I thought it would be. I knew before applying what they say about film degrees, how 'they're not worth the paper they're printed on', and that you don't even need one to get into the industry. Because it's really hard to get into the film industry, and how potential jobs only care about your show-reel and what experience you have in the industry beforehand, rather than the fact you spent 3 years in university doing it.

I came to uni hoping to enjoy the coursework, make some good material, be with like-minded people and friends, and gain contacts, work experience, independence and , knowledge to give me a chance. Now, in my second year, none of that is happening. I know most people on my course, but there are veerrryy few people who I like to work with on the courseworks, so I'm stuck in a group of people who I hate working with right now, the same group as last term, despite my best efforts to find other people. Last term was awful, and now it looks like this term will be the same. So as well as the course in general being crap, I'm having huge difficulties finding any kind of work experience. I also want to be able to make lots of films on the side too, but that's not happening either.

Basically we're getting ripped off by the university. And the whole university experience in general, I'm really not enjoying. I'm sharing a flat now with friends from first year, which I thought would be great, but as they say, you don't really know someone until you live with them. And the flat is horrible. I also have next to no social life, have tremendous meeting new people and potential girlfriends, and miss home terribly.

I'm worried if I did drop out though what would be the alternative. I want to get into film industry badly, and dropping out would leave where I was before coming to uni, i.e. no steps closer. In terms of finance too, do I get out now while I can, or pay another bloody year's worth of fees to a uni and a course that doesn't give us our money's worth?

Short version: University is crap, doing a film degree, want to drop out, dunno if I should.
    Hello,

My name is Gemma and I am currently a first year student at Bournemouth University studying Television Production.

I am sorry to hear your having such a bad time and your University isnt what you expected. However I dont think you should rule out university yet!

Have you thought about reapplying and starting at a different university which might meet your needs better?

Bournemouth seems to have all the things you are after in terms of, we film every week, good nightlife, the course includes a work placement, we have industry speakers in a lot and the course is full of friendly people who are passionate about creating videos!

I hope you find a solution to your issue. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Gemma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nolanite)

What university is that? I applied to three universities in London to study graphics, maybe your university is one of my choices.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.