Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Applied for maths at Cambridge. After being pooled and re interviewed I got rejected by Cambridge. I really wanted to go there so I was very gutted. Really starting to think I didn't choose my choices too wisely. My only other choices which I want to attend are Durham and Bristol. Wishing I'd applied to Warwick now. Is there anyway I can do that?

What are your thoughts on what I should do? I was thinking of going for cambridge again next year but I don't really fancy the gap year too much. Do Warwick ever use clearing for maths or anywhere else decent for that matter?

ReputationRep:
    Don't get too wound up about Cambridge - it is a brilliant university and there is brilliant work being done there. But there is brilliant mathematicians at Bristol and Durham too. A degree from either of those universities would be phenomenal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by willjeffcott)
    Applied for maths at Cambridge. After being pooled and re interviewed I got rejected by Cambridge. I really wanted to go there so I was very gutted. Really starting to think I didn't choose my choices too wisely. My only other choices which I want to attend are Durham and Bristol. Wishing I'd applied to Warwick now. Is there anyway I can do that?

What are your thoughts on what I should do? I was thinking of going for cambridge again next year but I don't really fancy the gap year too much. Do Warwick ever use clearing for maths or anywhere else decent for that matter?
    You have offers from Durham and Bristol but yet you complain..

Major first world problem..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You have offers from Durham and Bristol but yet you complain..

Major first world problem..
    Don't have a Durham offer yet. Hopeful I will get one though as my grades have been good so far. Sorry if I seem like I am complaining about it, I didn't try to come across that way at all. I was just wondering what the general consensus on a gap year is and whether I should do one and try again. I am thinking that Durham or Bristol are going to be great though, probably just putnoff by the fact I haven't seen Durham yet

ReputationRep:
    Gap years are never a negative thing to do providing you use the time wisely. Eg get a job, travel etc. Lots of universities like seeing someone with life experience.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SnooFnoo)
    Gap years are never a negative thing to do providing you use the time wisely. Eg get a job, travel etc. Lots of universities like seeing someone with life experience.

Not if they've forgotten everything they learned 12 months ago!

For Maths at Cambridge, any gap year activity needs to be focused on doing lots of mathematics, otherwise it's not going to be beneficial in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know who had a gap year between college and uni said they found first year a real struggle - and I didn't exactly go to a Russell Group uni! Gap years sound like a great idea, but they aren't going to boost your prospects of getting into the top tier unis. Wait and see what Bristol and Durham say - if you get offers from them then you've achieved something really impressive, having the offers might just help you make up your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have AAB from Bristol. That should be fine as my UMS was high last year. I am hoping for A*AA from Durham, that should also be fine
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by willjeffcott)
    I have AAB from Bristol. That should be fine as my UMS was high last year. I am hoping for A*AA from Durham, that should also be fine
    Good to hear man, and I was just joking around earlier. Cambridge undergrad isn't the be all and end all. You could always do an MPhil there - provided you get the grades.

Wish you all the best for the future!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.