Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want this game. So badly. I would buy a PS4 for it alone and quite happily condemn my social life to oblivion for the rest of my days.

The following information might be erroneous as I haven't bothered to fact check it, so please correct me whenever possible:

For those who aren't aware of this game, No Man's Sky is all about the journey. And what a journey it will be. One of the members of the development team said that the "objective" is to find the centre of the Universe, but people can do whatever they want while they're playing, and the developers want people to create their own experiences while playing.

And yes, you read that correctly; universe.
    - There are 18.5 (ish) quintillion unique planets in this universe, and they can all be explored.
    - They are all "planet-sized".
    - They all have their own unique flora and fauna (I realise that I'm playing fast and loose with the word "unique" here. It would be incredibly difficult to implement 18 quintillion totally unique variations of animals in a game, but apparently you won't notice any similarities between animals until you've visited a hell of a lot of planets, a number in the trillions, the amount of planets you will probably never explore unless you are completely unaware of what "outside" is).
    - The game has been created using mathematical algorithms, it's not randomly generated. More info in the video below.

Who else is excited for this?

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know one thing about it.

What do you do?

I'm really excited for this game. It has massive potential, but the way the devs have been quite hush hush about it's game mechanics does make me wonder about it.

Tell you one thing though, if this has got a "Minecraft" element of resource gathering and construction, it's potential could be endless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I just want to know one thing about it.

What do you do?

I'm really excited for this game. It has massive potential, but the way the devs have been quite hush hush about it's game mechanics does make me wonder about it.

Tell you one thing though, if this has got a "Minecraft" element of resource gathering and construction, it's potential could be endless.
    What do you do? Whatever you want (within reason. Sadly, the dinosaurs are not mountable :sad: ).
    The main "objective" is to find the centre of the universe (there is little to no narrative or dialogue, but you can search for ancient artefacts which let you into secrets about the universe) but what the devs really want is for you to create your own experiences within the universe that they've created.

The founder of Hello Games has said that it's possible to find the centre of the Universe between 40 and 100 hours if you only focus on that goal and don't bother exploring any other planets, but that defeats the purpose of the sheer scope of the game.

Confirmed features:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyThe...s_sky_features

You'll be exploring the same Universe as everybody else, but your chances of coming across them are slim at first as everyone starts in their own solar system.

In an interview, Sean Murray (the aforementioned founder) has said (paraphrasing ahoy!) that he feels kind of selfish because he's doing what he's doing (creating the game) for himself, as it's what he wants to do. He's basically living his own dream by creating this game, so much like what Valve did with Left 4 Dead (a game designed with the intent of pushing the limits of what the console could offer, if I remember correctly), Hello Games are also creating this game simply because they can.
    When the interview was released they didn't have the commercial side of it down at all; the game came first, everything else came later. And I have a lot of respect for them because of that. It almost seems like they're making it for ****s n' giggles, but I have no doubt it will be a massive earner for them.

No disrespect to your good self, but a lot of people look at games with a "ok this is cool, so what am I doing here/working to achieve?" perspective, which is fine and dandy because most games are designed with that in mind, but No Man's Sky seems more abstract than that in that it is, simply put, pure explorability (I don't even know if that's a word, but I'm calling it as such).

You're absolutely right, the potential for this game is as close to infinite as can be achieved and, I'm going to assume, has ever been achieved (I'm basing this assumption on the size of the game alone). The amount of variation in it is incredible, and I'm really struggling to not let the fanboy in me come out seeing as I haven't even played a demo of the game yet (I don't think one has come out) but the hype surrounding it is huge and I really hope that it lives up to it, for the sake of the devs if not the players expectations. They deserve it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.